Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Slow Juicer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Has anyone bought and tried out the Ambiano Slow Juicer on sale in Aldi from this Thursday? Are/were there many in store?

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-7-jan/products-detail-page/ps/p/slow-juicer/

FYI, if you're specifically looking at this because it's a slow juicer, there are no health benefits to slow juicers, it's just marketing/pseudoscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Arbie wrote: »
    FYI, if you're specifically looking at this because it's a slow juicer, there are no health benefits to slow juicers, it's just marketing/pseudoscience.

I don't think it is pseudoscience.
    There is no heat involved with a slow juicer (especially with the higher ended masticating ones) whereas centrifugal there is.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/08/juicer-types-cold-press_n_2618000.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Arbie wrote: »
    There is a much higher juice yield using slow juicers and also the juice can be stored for much longer as there is much less air whipped into it. There is also very little froth.

The main downside is the extra time it takes and the extra preperation as most have a narrow chute and fruit/veg needs to be cut to size.

rustyzip wrote: »
    I don't think it is pseudoscience.
    There is no heat involved with a slow juicer (especially with the higher ended masticating ones) whereas centrifugal there is.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/08/juicer-types-cold-press_n_2618000.html

There is no significant heat produced, that is a myth with no evidence. The Huffpost article had no references, it's basically marketing/opinion. They're even talking abouts cleanses which is archetypal pseudoscience.

People may have subjective reasons for buying a particular juicer but there is no difference in nutritional content of juice from a slow/fast juicer. I'm saying this to alert people that it's not a bargain if you're paying for that feature.

There is a much higher juice yield using slow juicers and also the juice can be stored for much longer as there is much less air whipped into it. There is also very little froth.

The main downside is the extra time it takes and the extra preperation as most have a narrow chute and fruit/veg needs to be cut to size.

I have a macerating (slow) juicer myself and agree that it has some advantages over centrifugal (fast) juicers but nutritional value isn't one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I havent read any proper research on the argument but it seems pretty self-evident to me: If heat destroyed macro nutrients (as the "slow-juicer" crowd are saying) we'd be extinct as a species for many many centuries. In developed countries we predominantly eat cooked food since our homo sapiens ancestors started settling down and growing crops. so the idea that heat kills the nutrients in fruits and vegetables is plain bogus IMHO
    That's said I've decided to ditch my Philips centrifugal juicer for a Nutri Ninja but that's mainly for 2 unrelated reasons: size and ease of cleaning.
    If somebody is interested in my Phillips juicer (Philips HR1861 bought on Amazon for £200 2yrs ago and used maybe 5-6 times) drop me a PM. I'll throw in a couple of recipe books from some juicing guru dude

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aldi wrote:
    The high torque, low speed motors

The motor is just 150W. That's a joke. High torque me bollix. Even the cheapest Philips centrifugal juicers (that are cheaper than this Aldi one) are at least 3 or 4 times more powerful. And a Nutribullet is at least 1kW iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

hmmmm, think you're confusing torque and speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

unkel wrote: »
    The motor is just 150W. That's a joke. High torque me bollix. Even the cheapest Philips centrifugal juicers (that are cheaper than this Aldi one) are at least 3 or 4 times more powerful. And a Nutribullet is at least 1kW iirc

Think your missing the point. Motor torque x gear ratio minus losses is final torque. The torque could be colossal with a tall enough gear ratio just ask Archimedes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

unkel wrote: »
    The Auger in the machine turns at about 70-80rpm so it does not take a high power motor, most have low power induction motors.

• Advertisement

I'm not missing the point. The high torque in the ad is just marketing bull (to make people believe it is powerful).

Obviously if you turn the drill slow enough, you'll get your high torque in theory but if your power is limited to a ridiculous 150W I can't see this juicing some hard fruit / veg for long without burning out / breaking down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I bought the 150w Aldi juicer. Pretty happy with it. from research 150w is plenty power for it. 3 year warranty as well. The juice is fine :)

Also bought a 1000w NutriNinja IQ as well

How do they compare, moonboy?

unkel wrote:
    How do they compare, moonboy?

It was my first juicer, so nothing to compare to. I use it for juices like carrot, grapefruit and ginger in the morning.

Easy to clean and plenty of juice.

The NutriNinja though is a beast. I had a breville and there is no comparison.

Use it for the leafy green type smoothie in the evening.

The breville had a bitty consistency, whereas the NutriNinja is very smooth.

I was going to get the Joe cross blender for 130e but decided to get the two for a little more

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Moet73

I bought the aldi slow juicer to try out. It's my first juicer so can't make comparison with more expensive options. The juice tastes great but I get a lot of pulp in the juice and pass through a sibh as an extra step. The manual says cut pieces smaller and feed in more slowly so will try this to see if it helps. So far I've juiced carrots, beetroot, celery, kale,apples,ginger,cucumber and all went well. Cleans easy. Will return if I can't reduce the amount of pulp in the juice.

There is a little bit of pulp.

I was watching a YT video on juicers.

The model was some really expensive JR 9000 or something and that had a little pulp in it too.

I like it myself, but maybe a centrifugal juicer may suit more for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If there is truly no health benefit of a masticating juicer then I've been made a fool of as I bought one for the health benefit. My one can apparently keep a high nutrient content for about 72 hours compared to a centrifugal juicer. So is that all just baloney?

Thanks moonyboy. There's a lot of pulp in the juice but I'll continue to play around with it for the next week. If it doesn't improve I have my trusty blender!

Bag of curly kale 49 cent in Aldi this week :-)
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    There is a little bit of pulp.

I was watching a YT video on juicers.

The model was some really expensive JR 9000 or something and that had a little pulp in it too.

I like it myself, but maybe a centrifugal juicer may suit more for yourself

Moet73 wrote: »
    Thanks moonyboy. There's a lot of pulp in the juice but I'll continue to play around with it for the next week. If it doesn't improve I have my trusty blender!

Bag of curly kale 49 cent in Aldi this week :-)

By Pulp do you mean the juice is a little thick or this is pulp left at the bottom of the glass?

Not tried many things yet myself.

Did 4 oranges today for 500ml of juice. I peeled the oranges.

It was not smooth smooth, but i did not mind it.

Carrot juice and grapefruit (grapefruit peeled) gives a nice juice too.

I sort of see it as getting a little amount of the fibre from the fruit.

Maybe someone with an expensive masticating juicer can chip in

I had a lot of pulp at bottom of glass with my initial attempts. Made a juice last night Kale, kiwi, lime, cucumber and pear....very little pulp... Cut the pieces much smaller and inserted much slower...big difference!
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    By Pulp do you mean the juice is a little thick or this is pulp left at the bottom of the glass?

Not tried many things yet myself.

Did 4 oranges today for 500ml of juice. I peeled the oranges.

It was not smooth smooth, but i did not mind it.

Carrot juice and grapefruit (grapefruit peeled) gives a nice juice too.

I sort of see it as getting a little amount of the fibre from the fruit.

Maybe someone with an expensive masticating juicer can chip in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Rostina

The main advantage of a slow juicer, apart from the fact that you get more juice and less waste from you fruit and vegetables, is that the slow juicer does not use heat to extract the juice, therefore better quality and tastier juice and will keep in the fridge for a few days. Centrifugal juicers extract the juice by using heat and therefore the juice must be used as soon as possible otherwise it goes off and loses taste and quality.

Rostina wrote: »
    The main advantage of a slow juicer, apart from the fact that you get more juice and less waste from you fruit and vegetables, is that the slow juicer does not use heat to extract the juice, therefore better quality and tastier juice and will keep in the fridge for a few days. Centrifugal juicers extract the juice by using heat and therefore the juice must be used as soon as possible otherwise it goes off and loses taste and quality.

The claim regarding heat is not true - it's marketing and pseudoscience. There is no difference in the quality or nutritional value between centrifugal and slow/masticating juicers. Any claims to the contrary should be backed up with reliable, scientific sources. Let's also remember that juices are basically desserts and not some kind of medicine or miracle food. I gave the warning about the false health claims in the first place so that people could make an informed decision when purchasing. A lot of people are tricked into paying higher prices for quackery.

As this BA is expired, mods should probably close it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Rostina wrote: »

Deja-vue all over again! Didnt we have this debate on page 1?
    I thought there was a bargain to be had with a slow juicer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

CLOSING THIS THREAD AS ITS AN OLD BARGAIN. Take the chat about benefits of juicing to one of the many health forums here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement