Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone bought the Pixel 5C

Options
  • 08-01-2016 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried the new google tablet yet. Spec wise the gpu in it seems like a beast for mobile gaming, and the screen is a nice size too with excellent build quality reported. Seems like a decent alternative to the Galaxy S2 which underperforms and still lags. A possible Air 2 alternative ?

<edit> Looks like this yoke has major performance issues and lots posts on reddit about the touch screen being unresponsive.
    http://uk.pcmag.com/google-pixel-c/73926/review/google-pixel-c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I had a passing interest in it, when it was initially announced.

To get the 64gb model with the leather, case type keyboard, will cost €778 (plus shipping?) which is so far beyond a reasonable price for the device that I think it gave me slight dementia :D

To be honest, as a video review from android central on youtube said, there's no unique selling point to the device. It's simply an android tablet.

What could be a nice little OS for it, is that new Remix OS, due out next week. Remix is an android based OS ported to work on x86 machines, like the hackintosh stuff does for mac OSX and is pretty cool looking.

If that could be reverse engineered to work on android tabs, it'd be pretty cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I had a passing interest in it, when it was initially announced.

To get the 64gb model with the leather, case type keyboard, will cost €778 (plus shipping?) which is so far beyond a reasonable price for the device that I think it gave me slight dementia :D

To be honest, as a video review from android central on youtube said, there's no unique selling point to the device. It's simply an android tablet.

What could be a nice little OS for it, is that new Remix OS, due out next week. Remix is an android based OS ported to work on x86 machines, like the hackintosh stuff does for mac OSX and is pretty cool looking.

If that could be reverse engineered to work on android tabs, it'd be pretty cool :)

Thanks, I read it was designed with ChromeOS in mind initially. The specs seem very good but everyone is reporting lag issues, and touch screen issues. Seems like a bit of a dud to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

25% discount available now if purchasing from play store. This might make it worthwhile at this price. Apparently very powerful tablet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/28/the-25-developer-discount-on-the-pixel-c-is-now-active-in-austria-belgium-canada-france-germany-the-netherlands-spain-and-switzerland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Flaccus wrote: »
    Thanks, I read it was designed with ChromeOS in mind initially. The specs seem very good but everyone is reporting lag issues, and touch screen issues. Seems like a bit of a dud to me :(

I'm using it right now, it's not as bad as it was, things improved vastly with the latest update.
    The only thing that bothers me is it's slightly slow going from landscape to portrait.
    I gave Android N a go when it was released and IMO it's almost a daily runner if that interest's you.
    At the current price I think it's a steal.

Thanks for your comments. I presume android n is only a beta version. What do you mean when you say it is almost a daily runner.

From what I have read, main drawback of the device is that the android os in its current form isn't really designed for a large tablet with apps that don't look good and inability to properly multi task and have split screen.
    11214 wrote: »
    I'm using it right now, it's not as bad as it was, things improved vastly with the latest update.
    The only thing that bothers me is it's slightly slow going from landscape to portrait.
    I gave Android N a go when it was released and IMO it's almost a daily runner if that interest's you.

• Advertisement

Another question:

Did you go for 32gb and if yes, how much actual free space is then available? Have you found a solution that works to get around the limited storage such as a otg memory USB device?

Thanks for your comments. I presume android n is only a beta version. What do you mean when you say it is almost a daily runner.

From what I have read, main drawback of the device is that the android os in its current form isn't really designed for a large tablet with apps that don't look good and inability to properly multi task and have split screen.

N is for development at the moment only, as I said I thought it was fine, I went back to M after a while though.
    Split view was fairly ****e.
    For me Android on tablet is fine, yes it is the same thing blown up but so is iOS, I've had all the Sony and Google Nexus tablets as well as a lot of the iPads and I find Android fine to use.
    I'm not a huge app user on Android though, I like the tablets for email, reading documents and if I'm away I'll watch a few videos on Plex.
    Anything heavier than that and I'll be using a windows tablet or laptop.
    Another question:

Did you go for 32gb and if yes, how much actual free space is then available? Have you found a solution that works to get around the limited storage such as a otg memory USB device?

32 is way more than I need, I'm fully setup at the moment and I have 24gb free.

The one thing that pissed me off about buying the pixel was that there was no included usb c to usb cable, power cable only. No biggie but a bit of a balls if you want to play around with it.

I've been tempted to buy the Google pixel c now with the 25 % plays tote discount. Some very mixed reviews on the Internet. The software seems to be the biggest problem, not really design for a tablet.

It's a pity there are no stores I which you can try it out before buying.
    N is for development at the moment only, as I said I thought it was fine, I went back to M after a while though.
    Split view was fairly ****e.
    For me Android on tablet is fine, yes it is the same thing blown up but so is iOS, I've had all the Sony and Google Nexus tablets as well as a lot of the iPads and I find Android fine to use.
    I'm not a huge app user on Android though, I like the tablets for email, reading documents and if I'm away I'll watch a few videos on Plex.
    Anything heavier than that and I'll be using a windows tablet or laptop.

32 is way more than I need, I'm fully setup at the moment and I have 24gb free.

The one thing that pissed me off about buying the pixel was that there was no included usb c to usb cable, power cable only. No biggie but a bit of a balls if you want to play around with it.

I've been tempted to buy the Google pixel c now with the 25 % plays tote discount. Some very mixed reviews on the Internet. The software seems to be the biggest problem, not really design for a tablet.

It's a pity there are no stores I which you can try it out before buying.

25% off is a cracking deal. Buy it and if you don't like it send it back.

What exactly do you want to do with the tablet?
    If you think Android on a tablet is such an issue just go along to an electrical store and try out any of the tablets, you'll get a good idea from them.

Thinking about it that discount brings the price down to around €380 something, I'd nearly pick up another one at that money.

I think I will pounce for the 32gb version. Hope that will be enough storage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I agree, also it must be said that some websites could look better on Android if the websites did a proper job of sniffing out the device. Currently it feels like they only just sniff for iOS.

For example, on a Android tablet, type in the URL [url] http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Connacht[/url] and the layout is poor.
    Now type the URL [url] http://m.met.ie/forecast-regional.aspx?region=Connacht[/url] and it's much better.

Another website is http://m.fantasy.premierleague.com which looks better than the desktop equivalent.

Or type in http://m.independent.ie instead of http://www.independent.ie/ - incidently the programmer of that website put the option to switch between desktop site and mobile at the very bottom left rather than at the top - strange!

Anyway you get the message, there are many websites that screw up like this!
    After navigating to any mobile site, I select the 3 dot menu in the top right in Chrome, then select "Add to home screen" and it creates a shortcut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Patww79 wrote: »
    Did anyone buy the magnetic keyboard and is it any use?

I find the magnetic keyboard nice to use, though still have to get the knack of docking/undocking it.

The keyboard is nicer to type on than the screen and it balances nicely like a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Half considering getting this.
    Can anyone who owns this tell me if the performance issues have been ironed out, or is this still a bogey tablet?

My Nexus 9 seems a bit of a bogey, performance wise, so don't want to be burned again.

Thanks.

I would send it back. Read on a forum about others having that issue but that it isn't the norm.

Mine seems to have an awful click if I press on the screen about halfway across and an inch up. Like if I lightly squeeze the back and front together at that point.
    (EDIT: Actually anywhere around the left hand half of the screen really).

Can anyone confirm if theirs has the same? Just want to see if it's a defective unit or a thing with them all so as I know whether to send it back for refund or replacement.

That can't be right. Something must be wrong with the device when it is so slow at charging.

It's also slower than a glacier to charge. It needs an update and has been plugged in for 40 minutes and still hasn't enough to install the update, sitting around 10% still.

• Advertisement

I would speak to the customer care and see if they can send you a replacement. Think I heard that they sometimes send a replacement before you send back the faulty one

I also got some glitches on the screen a few times since, a bit like lines across the icons or keyboard. It's reset packed up now but I'm having hassle getting it returned, as the website keeps throwing up an error.

Also, if I do manage to get it returned, does anyone know if I can buy it again with the offer code or is it only the one? I would buy it again (they seemingly don't do replacements, only refunds) but, while it ran lovely apart from the dodgy screen, it's not worth €610.

You're probably right.

How long does delivery take once it is ordered from Google play?
    Another strange one is that the battery stat page in the settings shows that the device had been discharging since March 25th, which would tell me this is one that's already been returned and just repackaged.

I ordered one last night. Hope it arrives in time for the weekend.

Here's the screenshot of the battery taken today not long after I'd unpacked it and got it charged enough to sign in.

dmbj8y.png

I ordered last night but it hasn't been dispatched yet :(

I can return this once it goes from 'dispatched' to 'delivered' on their end. I can't order another one unless I pay full price though.

• Advertisement

Advertisement