Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD (1080p) Dash Cam €29.95 at Applegreen stations

Options
  • 07-01-2016 11:44pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I spotted this on the way home today. Applegreen have these in their value buckets. This is obviously not a top of the range dash cam but decent if you want a little protection but can't afford to splash out right now.

The infrared LED "array" is very poor, so I cannot imagine night driving will be covered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I spotted this on the way home today. Applegreen have these in their value buckets. This is obviously not a top of the range dash cam but decent if you want a little protection but can't afford to splash out right now.

The infrared LED "array" is very poor, so I cannot imagine night driving will be covered.

What size is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Infrared doesn't pass through glass.
    If you have a camera with IR leds and point it towards a window, then it will be blinded by the reflection of IR light from the glass.
    I've indoor network cameras like that.

So IR LEDS on a dashcam are worse than useless especially if you cannot manually disable them.

The figure you want to look at for night time is the minimum lux value.
    The lower the better.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

FrostyJim wrote: »
    What size is it?
    Same size as a credit card and just over 1cm deep, 2cm at the lens.
    Infrared doesn't pass through glass.
    If you have a camera with IR leds and point it towards a window, then it will be blinded by the reflection of IR light from the glass.
    I've indoor network cameras like that.

So IR LEDS on a dashcam are worse than useless especially if you cannot manually disable them.

The figure you want to look at for night time is the minimum lux value.
    The lower the better.

I haven't been able to get the infrared working on the one I picked up but I presume in that case, it's intended for interior recording at night? Realistically, I don't think it would work for that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Same size as a credit card and just over 1cm deep, 2cm at the lens.

I haven't been able to get the infrared working on the one I picked up but I presume in that case, it's intended for interior recording at night? Realistically, I don't think it would work for that either.

What's the video qualiy like?

Advertisement