Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas heater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Aldi have one that looks like a turbine coming on sale on Sunday. Was thinking about picking one up, the workshop is freezing lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Aldi have one that looks like a turbine coming on sale on Sunday. Was thinking about picking one up, the workshop is freezing lately!

Looks like a fair machine. 3 year warranty is very good too.

I got the woodies one above and it's a great job for a FREEZING cold workshop. I was just curious is there any dangers with dust in the air and a naked gas flame?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

delaney001 wrote: »
    Looks like a fair machine. 3 year warranty is very good too.

I got the woodies one above and it's a great job for a FREEZING cold workshop. I was just curious is there any dangers with dust in the air and a naked gas flame?

It is an explosive mix and you need to be careful. Normal airborne dust will be OK but if you supply the flame with a feed of sawdust from a power tool it will ignite in the air. I have a conventional stove and when I dump sawdust into it I get mini flame- up to eye level.

So just got a text reply from one of the lads who has been a fire fighter for the last 10 years.

He says,"I wouldn't recommend using them (gas heater) to be honest because the naked heater bars and the sparker for the gas would be a sufficient enough ignition source for the wood dust. And the fact they give off carbon monoxide too is another thing. I'd go with an electric heater, much safer."

I guess I won't be buying one after all!

The overhead infrared heaters seem good. Anyone got them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have an electric powered oil filled radiator in mine. No naked flames or red hot glowing surfaces, so perfectly safe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

And the fact that wood dust was used in explosives manufacture during the war
    years, might be a cause for concern:D

I guess that makes a wood burning stove out of the question too? I had a lovely project lined up to make one from an old gas cylinder.

..Brian.. wrote: »
    I guess that makes a wood burning stove out of the question too? I had a lovely project lined up to make one from an old gas cylinder.

No problem to make one but I think the top loaded stoves are easier in a workshop. I have a stove bought from the 'Hotspot' in the UK which has a metal pipe running from the top to the middle of the grate. it allows air to enter to the centre of the fire. If you just dump sawdust into a stove it will usually put it out !

Advertisement