Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son quitting college

Options
  • 07-01-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    My 19 year old son started a Plc college course in sept, after doing his leaving cert, he hates the course & has quitted.
    I'm a single parent and receive a part fis payment for him up until May. Should I tell fis that he has quit the college, even though they have a letter stating that he finishes in May 2016?
    Any info at all would be great....
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If he goes to try and sign on, they will find out anyway. Best be up front about it.
    If he was receiving any grant for the course he will have to give that up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Foxylady96

spurious wrote: »
    If he goes to try and sign on, they will find out anyway. Best be up front about it.
    If he was receiving any grant for the course he will have to give that up too.

Thanks
    He doesn't get his grant anymore because he quit..
    He works part time,4/5 hours most days, so no point signing on.. Plans on going back to college in sept..
    Would fis find out he left college or Wud it be up to me to tell them that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the colleges send attendance sheets every so often, so I think they would find out. They did with my friend's son.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Foxylady96

Oh really?
    Does the social get in touch with the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Just my 2cents, you are receiving FIS, I believe there are certain terms that need to be met to receive this. If circumstances change, it is up to you to notify the welfare department and let them make a decision based on that- otherwise what you are doing is fraud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement