Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath hurler to transfer to Waterford

Options
  • 07-01-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

https://thegaelicgame.wordpress.com/2016/01/07/promising-young-meath-hurler-set-for-transfer-to-waterford/

I just read this this morning. Meath hurler Jack Fagan is transferring to Waterford. Is this a sign of whats ahead? Moving for success?

Should more be done to protect teams like Meath from losing their best players? Same thing happened a few years ago to Kildare. To be fair the player in question then had a lot of links to Tipp. I may be wrong but what links does Fagan have to Waterford? Hes playing with Carlow IT so maybe someone had a word with him? Is does raise another question as to whether or not that did happen i.e. he was approached to join them?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

cms88 wrote: »
    https://thegaelicgame.wordpress.com/2016/01/07/promising-young-meath-hurler-set-for-transfer-to-waterford/

I just read this this morning. Meath hurler Jack Fagan is transferring to Waterford. Is this a sign of whats ahead? Moving for success?

Should more be done to protect teams like Meath from losing their best players? Same thing happened a few years ago to Kildare. To be fair the player in question then had a lot of links to Tipp. I may be wrong but what links does Fagan have to Waterford? Hes playing with Carlow IT so maybe someone had a word with him? Is does raise another question as to whether or not that did happen i.e. he was approached to join them?

instead of asking is he moving for success, the first thing I'd be asking is if he is living there now and if he is, then so be it. Waterford to Meath is not exactly next door. Its a different province and a long way away. If he is living and/or working in Waterford it would be unrealistic for him to continue playing for Meath.

This also happened over a month ago, so I'm not sure why it is only making big news now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

He lives in Carlow. He has zero connections to Waterford.

Pure poaching from Waterford/McGrath. The GAA need to step in even if his club did approve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

Would be surprised if he was at the level of the Waterford Senior Hurling Team to be honest. It's a massive step up.

Remember Mark Mullins, went down to Cork from Carlow with a huge reputation. Found out to be well out of his depth and fell away after a couple of league matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

I think we should reserve judgment on whether this is poaching or not until it emerges if he even makes the U21/Senior Panel.

I assume the reason it's making news now is that it was front page in the Meath Chronicle sports section this week. I don't really think it's a huge issue in the GAA, and not really sure if they should (or even could) do anything to stop it happening. It is a disappointing blow for us, but the same player didn't exactly show huge commitment to the county while he was playing his club hurling here. A problem not just confined to him either, I'm afraid to say.

Orizio wrote: »
    He lives in Carlow. He has zero connections to Waterford.

Pure poaching from Waterford/McGrath. The GAA need to step in even if his club did approve it.

and this info is coming from where?

he also has made no county transfer, he has only transferred the club. thats not to say it wont happen, but best not to get ahead of ourselves here. This isnt a Seanie Johnston situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

bruschi wrote: »

he also has made no county transfer, he has only transferred the club. thats not to say it wont happen, but best not to get ahead of ourselves here. This isnt a Seanie Johnston situation.

Well hes in college in Carlow IT so that would explain him living there.

I a

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Yere plenty of better hurlers than him in clubs in Waterford who never get look in.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Smith614 wrote: »
    Yere plenty of better hurlers than him in clubs in Waterford who never get look in.

You've seen him yeah?
    Or are you making assumptions?

cms88 wrote: »
    Well hes in college in Carlow IT so that would explain him living there.

I a

it could, but it wouldnt explain how he is able to get a transfer to De la Salle. you dont know if he is living there is what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭largepants

bruschi wrote: »

Or a Joe Timmons one for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

pajero12 wrote: »
    You've seen him yeah?
    Or are you making assumptions?

make whatever assumption u like , wateford have tons of better players than a meath hurler. Waterford had class minors and u21s for past few yrs who are better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

make whatever assumption u like , wateford have tons of better players than a meath hurler. Waterford had class minors and u21s for past few yrs who are better.
    Didn't answer the question, have you seen Jack Fagan play?
    He's a great prospect, one of the best in Meath for quite a while. Unfortunately for him, he'd be destined to wonder "what if" if he stayed in Meath so he made the decision to transfer to Waterford.

He may not make the grade in Waterford and there's no guarantee he will ever be given a chance in a Waterford jersey. If that turns out to be the case, he'll be welcomed back to Meath without a doubt but to say he's not good enough because he's from Meath is like saying the likes of Declan Browne or Mattie Forde weren't good enough footballers as they were from Tipp and Wexford.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Leighton Glynn is another. One of the most talented footballers the country has produced and stuck playing for Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Give it a year or two and he'll make the Waterford half-forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Orizio wrote: »
    Give it a year or two and he'll make the Waterford half-forward line.

In theory it's certainly a good move. A supposedly promising young hurler (I haven't seen him play first hand) joining a young team who seem to be short on forwards. Even just being a part of the panel or being with the U21's would be likely to improve his hurling.

As to whether he was poached or not, very hard to prove. Could be going out with a girl from Waterford for all we know and after moving in with her. By the sounds of it he will certainly be a nice addition to DLS for the coming year.

Advertisement