Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Farrell

Options
  • 07-01-2016 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing like a bit of Irish Times understatement......

Andy Farrell comes to Ireland with World Cup baggage

I'm really not sure about this appointment - if I was in a Stars Wars film, I'd be muttering "I have a bad feeling about this" :D

I suppose you have to have some faith that Schmidt knows what he's doing and Hooky is no fan of the appointment, so instinctively I'm drawn to the idea that it might be a good move!

Long term though, as Hook points out, my concern is that another position in the hierarchy has been handed over to a 'furriner' - maybe this will help with coaching development if Farrell is as good as the IRFU/Schmidt hope and mentors other coaches, but I remain to be convinced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jawgap wrote: »

I'm really not sure about this appointment - if I was in a Stars Wars film, I'd be muttering "I have a bad feeling about this" :D

I suppose you have to have some faith that Schmidt knows what he's doing and Hooky is no fan of the appointment, so instinctively I'm drawn to the idea that it might be a good move!

Long term though, as Hook points out, my concern is that another position in the hierarchy has been handed over to a 'furriner' - maybe this will help with coaching development if Farrell is as good as the IRFU/Schmidt hope and mentors other coaches, but I remain to be convinced.

And as usual Hook has made a comment that he can't back up with anything. Can he identify an Irish coach that could do the job?

He also neglects to mention that we have an Englishman replacing an Aussie so it's not like anything has really changed in that regard.

I'm torn on it myself. I really don't know what to make of it. But Drico reckons it's positive and he's worked with the guy so that's something. And I can't recall there being any issues with the English defence generally over the last few years. What I do remember is a fantastic defensive display in Twickenham against us in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Blackclaret

Think its a good signing, being a small Rugby nation reckon we need as many fresh voices as possible around all of the national squads , as long as he don't get any ideas about converting the O'Shea brother will be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

I work in a job where conflicts of interest arise and have to be declared etc.

One thing that bothers me is that he will have intimate knowledge of the systems in place and his son is hanging around the English squad.

I also know that to be fair with video analysis etc that most teams and coaches know the plays etc inside out. I work with a former captain of an English Premiership side and the stuff he has told me about how much they even review the reffs would lead me to believe there isn't a secret to be had anyway but still I'm not sure about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

cronin_j wrote: »
    I work in a job where conflicts of interest arise and have to be declared etc.

One thing that bothers me is that he will have intimate knowledge of the systems in place and his son is hanging around the English squad.

I also know that to be fair with video analysis etc that most teams and coaches know the plays etc inside out. I work with a former captain of an English Premiership side and the stuff he has told me about how much they even review the reffs would lead me to believe there isn't a secret to be had anyway but still I'm not sure about this one.
    Well apparently the RFU may agree with you since he won't be starting for Ireland until after the 6N.

Keith Earls has also come out and backed the appointment: "It’s massive. When I heard, it was exciting,” said Earls yesterday. “He’s a fella I admired as a rugby league player, as a rugby union player and as a coach with what he’s done with the Lions as well."

And he asked 'Paulie' for his opinion too: “I asked Paulie what he was like. Paulie had great praise for him, hopefully I’ll get to work with him.”

Axel Foley thinks it's a good idea too: “He’ll have an opinion. He won’t come in there and go through the motions. He’s worked with Warren Gatland in the Lions and all the feedback from the players who have worked with him has been extremely positive.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

molloyjh wrote: »
    And as usual Hook has made a comment that he can't back up with anything. Can he identify an Irish coach that could do the job?

He also neglects to mention that we have an Englishman replacing an Aussie so it's not like anything has really changed in that regard.

I'm torn on it myself. I really don't know what to make of it. But Drico reckons it's positive and he's worked with the guy so that's something. And I can't recall there being any issues with the English defence generally over the last few years. What I do remember is a fantastic defensive display in Twickenham against us in 2014.

Englands problems in defence seemed to be more about the personnel then the system. No settled midfield for 2-3 seasons and changing it completely for Burgess at the most crucial time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I'm happy enough with this appointment.

A new voice in the setup anyway, different ideas etc. England have been reasonably good defensively over the last while.

His "world cup baggage" is a non-issue.

In the last four years, England has had the second best defence in the 6N (in terms of points conceded). Bettered by Wales in 2012 and 2013 and by us in 2014 and 2015. In 2015 they were actually third best, but that includes the France game when they shipped one third of their total points in one game. Excluding that round, they were still second in least points conceded.

Not a bad record.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

aimee1 wrote: »
    Englands problems in defence seemed to be more about the personnel then the system. No settled midfield for 2-3 seasons and changing it completely for Burgess at the most crucial time

This would be my opinion of it. I don't think the English setup as a whole was working, and player selection was questionable. So hard to know exactly how good or bad it is.

I will say it is surprising, but it is a big name, which in the whole is more then I thought we would probably muster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Any idea who Ireland's defence coach is for 6 Nations now that Less Kiss is with Ulster and Andy Farrell only takes up his appointment post 6N?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ronos26

I suppose you have to have some faith that Schmidt knows what he's doing and , so instinctively I'm drawn to the idea that it might be a good move!

All Hook does is talk crap about everything and is never happy with any selection. Farrell has a very good record and would blame Lancaster for not being a strong enough leader to tun the coaching team during their world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Any idea who Ireland's defence coach is for 6 Nations now that Less Kiss is with Ulster and Andy Farrell only takes up his appointment post 6N?

It could well be Schmidt. He fulfilled that role for Leinster after Kurt left. Maybe he'll ask McQuilkin to pitch in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

think its a great appointment - the last time Ireland played there defense was nothing short of appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's a conspiracy created by the rfu. They are paying farell under the table to coach us and he will give his son information our tactics lol

Good appointment I hope. Wonder how he will explain his celebrations when England beat us in 2014 lol.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It's a conspiracy created by the rfu. They are paying farell under the table to coach us and he will give his son information our tactics lol

Good appointment I hope. Wonder how he will explain his celebrations when England beat us in 2014 lol.

England's defence that day was excellent. If he can bring something like that to Ireland I'll be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Farrell + Schmidt will be the next Lions coaching ticket so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I think he'll do well with us. Our defence has been very passive at times recently; it sounds like Farrell can whip them into shape pretty handily. Plus Schmidt won't be easily swayed to change his plans as Lancaster was.

I think he'll do well with us. Our defence has been very passive at times recently; it sounds like Farrell can whip them into shape pretty handily. Plus Schmidt won't be easily swayed to change his plans as Lancaster was.

Other than the Argentina game our defence has been very good. We used a drift defence which looked passive because our line wasn't pushing up hard, but it worked until we lost a bunch of key players for that QF.

I keep hearing that Farrell is coming to the job with a lot of baggage. But is it possible to leave an English setup without bringing a lot of baggage. Clive Woodward is probably the last coach that got away without a lot of media negativity.

Farrell seemed to come under fire in the post RWC report, but almost all of that from what I recall was either:
    • Selection decisions
    • Being more of a voice than Lancaster
    Neither of these issues are likely to have any bearing on his position with us. England defensively have looked pretty impressive and losing Kiss really is a blow to the national setup so I'm glad we have someone that at least is proven at 6n level (even if his most recent departure was under questionable circumstances). At the very least, he really is going to have something to prove, and despite his son's role in the England setup - I would say he has no great love for the RFU.

I keep hearing that Farrell is coming to the job with a lot of baggage. But is it possible to leave an English setup without bringing a lot of baggage. Clive Woodward is probably the last coach that got away without a lot of media negativity.
    The headline said that he comes with "World Cup baggage". The World Cup finished for England back in October, you'd think he'd have unpacked by now...

I'll get me coat :)

The headline said that he comes with "World Cup baggage". The World Cup finished for England back in October, you'd think he'd have unpacked by now...

Bad-Joke-Eel.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

maybe it's the re-packing to bring it with him here that's delaying his start until after the 6N ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

maybe it's the re-packing to bring it with him here that's delaying his start until after the 6N ;)

It's probably quite hard to fit Eoin Farrell into a suitcase to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Scythica wrote: »
    It's probably quite hard to fit Eoin Farrell into a suitcase to be fair

Well be the looks of that young fellah - it's his hair care and grooming products that probably take even longer to pack!

Advertisement