Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver Hangs

Options
  • 07-01-2016 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I use a lot of html themes from Theme Forest, but lately I'm finding my Dreamweaver CS6 hangs A LOT when opening html files in it foe editing.

Would this be a RAM issue? - I've 8 gig of RAM on a win 7 system with an i5 Intel Core 3.4 Ghz

No other apps hang, but Dreamweaver in particular.

Anyone else experience this or recommend a solution?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

DW isn't intense RAM-wise, perhaps define a site folder (site manager) before starting working or opening any files.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

DW isn't intense RAM-wise, perhaps define a site folder (site manager) before starting working or opening any files.

Thanks - It seems to be some themes in particular - most work fine. Just wondering if other experienced this hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

One thing those free templates like to do is load up with external part-frame wraps and remote image banner loads.

One thing those free templates like to do is load up with external part-frame wraps and remote image banner loads.

They are not free - very good quality coding and high quality / testing on all before being released.

http://themeforest.net/category/site-templates

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's generally quite a few scripts/css files included in every page on those templates, something Dreamweaver may struggle with particularly if they're being loaded from an external source (like a CDN).

Is there any particular reason you're using Dreamweaver? It's been falling out of favour for a long time now, it might be time to bite the bullet and get familiar with an alternative.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    There's generally quite a few scripts/css files included in every page on those templates, something Dreamweaver may struggle with particularly if they're being loaded from an external source (like a CDN).

Is there any particular reason you're using Dreamweaver? It's been falling out of favour for a long time now, it might be time to bite the bullet and get familiar with an alternative.

I use Dreamweaver as it has an editor feature that uses a preview of the site as you work.

Notepad etc does not have this facility.

What alternatives are out there that uses a preview as you work offline?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I use a Mac, sublime text with LiveReload does the job for me.

Brackets might be worth a look, it's gaining popularity from what I see. No experience of it personally though.

Added: there's a Beta version of LiveReload for Windows.

LiveReload monitors changes in your specified local folders. As soon as you save a file in those folders your browser is refreshed giving you an instant view of the changes you made.

Graham wrote: »
    I use a Mac, sublime text with LiveReload does the job for me.

Brackets might be worth a look, it's gaining popularity from what I see. No experience of it personally though.

Added: there's a Beta version of LiveReload for Windows.

LiveReload monitors changes in your specified local folders. As soon as you save a file in those folders your browser is refreshed giving you an instant view of the changes you made.

This has none of the advanced CSS and coding features that Dreamweaver has - especially with design editing on the fly.

I don;t think there is an alternative to Dremweaver out there with its full feature set.

Its only a few theme sets can cause issue so not a deal breaker, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks all the same everyone for the feedback. I though it was a system issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

In the past and very likely still, the preview or Design View has been both bloated and not to be relied on. Just fired it up and at a glance, DV it gets sluggish when too much is asked of it. This no surprise for an Adobe product developed from Homesite which was a great tool until they put in the Design View before or after Macromedia was taken over by Adobe. DW has some production functions which I still like to use, but only in Code View. I would never use DW for design and have advised designers not to for at least a decade.

Advertisement