Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Durability of waterproof component

Options
  • 06-01-2016 10:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I own a Casio Pro Trek, which I've had for over 10 years now. I had to get the batteries replaced before Christmas - not something I've had to do all that often, tbh - only every few years.

The guy who replaced the batteries also performed a pressure test, which it failed, not surprising given its age.He said it was now more splash than waterproof. Speaking generally, how long does waterproofing last for - does it depend on the type of watch or other issues? The guy who repaired said about a year. I've taken it on a few white water rafting trips in the US. These involved very direct hits of large volumes of water. :pac: I'm not into diving and the watch isn't submerged well, pretty much ever, and if it lasts a few more years from wear and tear I'll be happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The waterproofing generally lasts as long as the rubber seals stay soft.
    Rubber perishes and goes hard, you definitely want to be checking them after about 5 years.
    Perfumes/aftershave and other chemicals will also damage rubber seals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for your comments and apologies for the delayed response.

I almost picked up this Sekonda the other day.

Are there any Irish based online shops worth checking out, btw?

That Sekonda is very nice.

I don't know of any Irish based online shops but CreationWatches are brilliant IMO, Japan based and if buying in the sub €200 range the customs issue isn't really an issue IMO.

I bought two €100 ish watches from them, think one attracted €12 from customs.

Fantastic selection and value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Interesting, wouldn't have thought of Japan at all.

The Sekonda was €49 on an Aer Lingus flight I was on last weekend.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll put this here. I've a Festina yolk, which I bought a while back based on a suggestion here. It's been sitting in the wardrobe for a while. It seems to think it's May 25th. How do I change that? Instructions online don't seem to be working...

• Advertisement
Advertisement