Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggar v Sexton

Options
  • 06-01-2016 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭

Let's put the Taffs back in their box

walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/six-nations-2016-dan-biggar-10690462

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,121 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Another completely subjective thread bound to blow up in provincial bs.

Sexton is the better player in top form, but biggar is currently playing (much) better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

I really like Biggar but there are obvious limitations to his game.

When the Lions comes about Ford and Sexton will be ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Blackclaret

corny wrote: »

Not unless Sexton finds his old form. to be honest I feel uncomfortable everytime he goes into contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

mansize wrote: »

Was expecting some Western Mail jingoism .... but nothing controversial in that IMO ....

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

The one big thing in that that stands out to me is the leadership thing. Sexton is clearly a great leader and demands nothing less than perfection from himself and others. I don't know enough about Biggar to compare them there but Sexton should be a 9 at least. He is also a very good defender, marking him down for being concussed a few times is a bit silly imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Biggar unless I'm mistaken is an excellent defender. It's sextons management that sets him apart from nearly everyone else when he's on top form. A year and a bit away but Lions selection will be interesting if sexton doesn't pick it up.
    Ford struggling too atm while Farrell is performing in a very successful Sarries team

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sexton is a 9 on leadership and defence at least. The rest is all fair enough.

corny wrote: »

What are the obvious limitations to this game

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The one big thing in that that stands out to me is the leadership thing. Sexton is clearly a great leader and demands nothing less than perfection from himself and others. I don't know enough about Biggar to compare them there but Sexton should be a 9 at least. He is also a very good defender, marking him down for being concussed a few times is a bit silly imo.

Top marks for courage but his technique is often lacking. Never seems to go low.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Top marks for courage but his technique is often lacking. Never seems to go low.

A lot of tens don't because a ten is very much usually double tackling with a 7 or 12. Going high is more effective and you often see sexton effecting a slow ball or holding a player up. Of course it has the drawback of leaving himself open to conclusion which has been highlighted. Still his natural body position in tackles is best suited for his position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

mansize wrote: »

So aerial ability is given the same weighting as tactical kicking, for an outhalf, riiiiight

It's also funny how for these little rating systems it usually comes down to 1 point between the players or teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

One of my mates, Leinster fan for life, was having a few marriage difficulties. Anyway, him and the missus trundled along to counselling, and to pass the time while waiting for the appointment, they got to debating Johnny vs Dan. The session got under way, and eventually the counsellor brought the topic round to the more intimate parts of their relationship. Just as things were getting a bit tense, the counsellor had to take an important phone-call. Taking advantage of pause, the husband asked "What do you think of sex, hun?". "Bigger is better she replied".

He wasn't sure whether she was referring to the counselling or the rugby, but either way he was gutted.

Sexton's 7 for form is unusually generous! We're a long way from his top game imo.
    Biggar playing almost as well as he can too.

Aerial Ability is a fairly gas element to judge on though. Should have included ratings for 'Looping' too to even it out.

In any case, I'd basically totally agree with sydthebeat's post. I'd have Sexton in top form over Biggar in top form.

Biggar's recent games (short to medium term) have been miles ahead of what Sexton's been doing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

He demands perfection but when was the last time he delivered.

Sexton isn't half the player without GD and BOD outside him, whereas Biggar grew instature when he was needed in the world cup and even the 6ns

At the mo if i was selecting an irish team Jackson would be no.10 and Sexton on the bench. I reckon he needs a kick in the hole, hes very grounded but it looks like hes believing his own hype and his eperformances have dropped dramatically over the past 10 months or so

Two years ago I would have swapped Biggar for Sexton ...... not any more and I don't see that changing in the future either .....

Two years ago I would have swapped Biggar for Sexton ...... not any more and I don't see that changing in the future either .....

Sexton has a higher ceiling which he will get back to soon enough. Biggar is a terrific player and I have huge admiration for him. I think he was one of the hardest working and most committed players of the RWC.

But he can't run a backline like Sexton and he can't manage the ball into space like Sexton and that is premium play from a 10. Without those abilities he may hit the levels of the likes of O'Gara, but Biggar will unlikely hit the standard of play that Sexton is capable of, has delivered, and will deliver again.

Sexton has a higher ceiling which he will get back to soon enough. Biggar is a terrific player and I have huge admiration for him. I think he was one of the hardest working and most committed players of the RWC.

But he can't run a backline like Sexton and he can't manage the ball into space like Sexton and that is premium play from a 10. Without those abilities he may hit the levels of the likes of O'Gara, but Biggar will unlikely hit the standard of play that Sexton is capable of, has delivered, and will deliver again.
    Your opinion ..... I do not agree!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dress rehearsal tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Biggar has just gone 26 so his ceiling could be very very high if he continues the way he's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Jonny has been usurped by Biggar reckon Martyn Williams.
    Valid assessment over the last year I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I don't think there's any question that Biggar is playing the better rugby right now, but Jonny's form hasn't been great lately.

The question is: is it just a rough patch or is he declining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Bazzo wrote: »
    I don't think there's any question that Biggar is playing the better rugby right now, but Jonny's form hasn't been great lately.

Based on tonight a rough patch

Your opinion ..... I do not agree!

Thankfully Sexton demonstrated it himself tonight. Still think Biggar is a class act all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Sexton 1-0 Biggar 8/1/16

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Ospreys v Leinster Stats
    Player|Kick|Pass|Run|MR|CB|DB|OL|TC|Tack|MT
    Dan Biggar|5|17|6|2|0|0|1|1|2|4
    Jonny Sexton|18|12|9|56|0|0|0|2|3|1

Wales online Vs reality
    Criterion|Biggar|Sexton|Last night
    Form|9|7|Sexton
    Attack|7|8|Sexton
    Defence|8|7|Sexton
    Tactical Kicking|8|9|Sexton
    Aerial Ability|9|7|No stats - Biggar?
    Goalkicking|9|8|Sexton
    Honours|7|9|N/A (bragging rights?)
    X-Factor|8|9|Simon Cowell
    Leadership|9|8|Sexton
    Experience|8|9|N/A
    Totals|82|81|Sexton ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Bazzo wrote: »

Ehhhh... never mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sexton was given a huge advantage by Kearneys, isa and Luke in that regard. Because Leinster were in a deeper defensive alignment they rarely got beaten, they were able to win their own kicking duels, and whenever he did kick he had time and space.

It was an heroic kicking game from the whole group.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Sexton was given a huge advantage by Kearneys, isa and Luke in that regard. Because Leinster were in a deeper defensive alignment they rarely got beaten, they were able to win their own kicking duels, and whenever he did kick he had time and space.

It was an heroic kicking game from the whole group.

Stop it with that. We're trying to put the Welshies in their place.

Nothing to see here, was all Sexton.

Advertisement