Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church of Ireland Godparents

Options
  • 06-01-2016 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Every child baptised in the CoI must have had Godparents, however, they are not recorded on the baptisms. Does anyone know if they may have been recorded separately somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

Have you been researching the original registers at the RCB? My experience with CoI baptismal registers is, admittedly, limited to those for a couple of parishes in Kilkenny but I found that godparents' names were recorded and, indeed, there were often three of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've seen original registers for Dublin in the RCB, and they do not record godparents. They are identical to those on irishgenealogy.ie.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

On my various visits to the RCB library I have never seen the Godparents recorded anywhere. Seems daft doesn't it? At a baptism the parents are asked who will stand for the child and they have to give the names, so why aren't they recorded? My reason for asking is that I know who my Godmother is, but did I have a Godfather? I never heard anything about a Godfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I have only looked at about half a dozen CoI parishes in the RCB, but I do not recall seeing any sponsors recorded. It is one of the few good points of RC registers.

Yes, its wonderful to see who the sponsors were as it may give more leads to other branches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The CoI records are extremely similar to what is recorded on an actual birth cert - consider that you nearly always get the father's occupation. The only difference is the (usual) omission of the mother's maiden name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks all. I'll ask on the Christianity forum and see if any information turns up.

Advertisement