Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are DJ's Performers?

Options
  • 06-01-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey what's up everyone!

My name is Evan, I'm a Music Technology student and DJ. I'm currently working on a project that aims to focus on DJ's a performers and I hope to focus on the similarities between DJ's and traditional musicians from the point of view of the performance.

By DJ's I do mean actual DJ's that take their craft seriously, I have compiled a very short questionnaire for fellow DJ's to fill out, it would help me out a lot if you can take a look. (I'm a new user and I am unable to link to this thread but if you would like to help me out I can PM the google doc to you)

I'd also love to hear any of your opinions on the matter especially from musicians. In my own view, guys that just turn up, press play and that are there to look pretty have really given us a negative image. We have the likes of Paris Hilton to thank for that for example. My point is that those of us that put in the hard work really deserve a bit more credit. 99% of the audience have no idea the work and dedication we put in to our sets and I think we have the right to be called performers just as much as any traditional musician.

Do you view DJ's as Performers? 17 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I dont rate "dj's" who churn out EDM and other such nonsense, but real DJ's like Carl Cox and the likes certainly would be entertainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Beat Freq

A few months ago I would have agreed with you completely as I'm not a fan of EDM myself. Although I recently attended a gig by MAK J who is a big EDM DJ. I managed to get behind the decks and watched for a good few minutes of how he worked. He had four CDJs and he was mashing a couple tracks together. What most caught my attention was how he was able to perfectly mix between genres. From EDM to Dubstep to hip hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rebel Soundtrack

Of course they are... anything that requirers you to get up in front of 50 people or more and keep you act together means you are performing... even if your are plays the spoons....

The type of music a DJ plays and your opinion about has nothing to do with whether he is actually performing...

At worst you could say... 'in my opinion, this DJ is performing badly'....

Or.... man!!!!....., this DJ sucks ass, like all EDM DJ's do....

But that's another story.....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

/something about cake throwing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Like any form of art there is a spectrum. There are lads and ladies who are doing worse jobs than a jukebox and calling themselves DJ. On the other end you have the wizards like Craze, A-Trak, Q-Bert etc.
    For me it's not always about technical skill though. There are some well know selectors that can barely use a crossfader let alone beat match (some reggae DJs come to mind) but can still put on a solid set to keep the heads nodding and the feet shuffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 fluxxxxxy

I think it all depends on the DJ really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I have a very strong opinion on DJs...

For a long time and sometimes still now, I presume DJing is not a talent, nor a job, nor effort, though obviously I appreciate a good transition from one song to another and when hearing the bad vs good you realize it does take quite some effort to get it right..

for instance if I tried to DJ, i fail miserably. Though I'm into music producing so there you go it's vice versa,

I'm starting to get more and more respect for solo DJ's that don't make any music.. but can't get the idea out of my head that all they do is mix their favorite songs.........?!?!

Advertisement