Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Work Experience - Graduate

Options
  • 06-01-2016 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm a recent computer science graduate currently seeking work, however I’m not having much luck. I have submitted application forms and my CV to various jobs only to get an unsuccessful email or an unsuccessful interview.

I feel my main problem is lack of experience within the IT industry, I’m trying to get into a system administrator / infrastructure role (Majority of the jobs I have come across is either software development or testing).

I’m willing to work voluntary within a company to get my experience built up, but I’m finding it difficult to also get into due to insurance reasons.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What sort of subjects did you CS degree cover?

Did you do any work experience during the degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Oonagh123

I studied a range of modules, including; Systems Security, Software Engineering, Algorithms and Data Structures, Computer Networks and Operating Systems, Programming and Systems Analysis and Design.

I completed a 6 month placement with a software development company, however it's not the route which I wish to proceed with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oonagh123 wrote: »
    I studied a range of modules, including; Systems Security, Software Engineering, Algorithms and Data Structures, Computer Networks and Operating Systems, Programming and Systems Analysis and Design.

I completed a 6 month placement with a software development company, however it's not the route which I wish to proceed with.

With no experience whatsoever on the infrastructure side of the house, I'd suggest applying for service desk/support roles and working your way up from there?

You could also get some relevant certifications.

I don't mind if I have to work from the bottom up, I just wish to get into a career that I will enjoy.

Can you recommend any specific certifications?

I don't mind if I have to work from the bottom up, I just wish to get into a career that I will enjoy.

Can you recommend any specific certifications?

Go over to the IT Certifications forum and ask the lads there for their advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=882

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Where are you based? A lot of the bigger tech companies in Dublin take on Summer interns. It might be worth contacting them to see if they're interested.

feylya wrote: »
    Where are you based? A lot of the bigger tech companies in Dublin take on Summer interns. It might be worth contacting them to see if they're interested.

I'm based up in County Donegal, i'm willing to relocate if necessary. I'm finding it pretty difficult to find a company that is willing to take on voluntary (insurance reasons).

I've been on the search since Aug and I'm not having much luck :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Don't work for free. Do an internship. Have a look on LinkedIn for internships, and apply to those. There are companies in Belfast, Galway, and Dublin looking for interns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'm a recent computer science graduate currently seeking work, however I’m not having much luck. I have submitted application forms and my CV to various jobs only to get an unsuccessful email or an unsuccessful interview.

I feel my main problem is lack of experience within the IT industry, I’m trying to get into a system administrator / infrastructure role (Majority of the jobs I have come across is either software development or testing).

I’m willing to work voluntary within a company to get my experience built up, but I’m finding it difficult to also get into due to insurance reasons.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Send me a message, I have some entry level support roles you could be good for. They'd be a stepping stone into Infrastructure. (If you want!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm based up in County Donegal, i'm willing to relocate if necessary. I'm finding it pretty difficult to find a company that is willing to take on voluntary (insurance reasons).

I've been on the search since Aug and I'm not having much luck :(

What about pramerica, they have a lot advertised at the moment.
    Anything with the associate word in the job title means they are looking for a graduate and don't expect any experience.
    They have also started employing a good few positions on Jobsbridge and nearly 100% so far have got employed, especially the graduates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

unfortunately the NW is probably the same as the SE of Ireland, very few IT positions and when they do come up companies are receiving enormous amounts of applications.

As mentioned above if you could get yourself into a level 1 position and go from there the money wont be fantastic but its a starting point. The next big problem most of these positions are Dublin based and the cost of living and rent is a killer. It can be very tough going.

Another very important point get as many certs as you can. Especially from Cisco and Microsoft you will need these when it comes to a System Admin role and will probably stand better to you than the degree when you get a bit of experience behind you.

Keep looking you will get something at the moment the market is flooded with IT grads so its hard going. Best of luck

Senna wrote: »
    What about pramerica, they have a lot advertised at the moment.
    Anything with the associate word in the job title means they are looking for a graduate and don't expect any experience.
    They have also started employing a good few positions on Jobsbridge and nearly 100% so far have got employed, especially the graduates.

I have applied to Pramerica 2 months ago and I never hear anything back from them.

unfortunately the NW is probably the same as the SE of Ireland, very few IT positions and when they do come up companies are receiving enormous amounts of applications.

As mentioned above if you could get yourself into a level 1 position and go from there the money wont be fantastic but its a starting point. The next big problem most of these positions are Dublin based and the cost of living and rent is a killer. It can be very tough going.

Another very important point get as many certs as you can. Especially from Cisco and Microsoft you will need these when it comes to a System Admin role and will probably stand better to you than the degree when you get a bit of experience behind you.

Keep looking you will get something at the moment the market is flooded with IT grads so its hard going. Best of luck

You're spot on there Musicman2000, I applied for a role in September and there was 1000 applications in for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I have applied to Pramerica 2 months ago and I never hear anything back from them.

Apply again and put in a cv under the speculate application. Have you go someone to help with the wording on your CV, it can be critical.
    A job I wanted was advertised in June, I applied in August, got interviewed in November, heard I'm on the panel in December and could be months before I start.
    It's not a quick process but I'd expect them to hire more in the new year/new budgets.

Thank you Senna, I will apply again under the speculative application, hopefully something will turn up.

Advertisement