Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books on religion for children

Options
  • 06-01-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking for recommendations on books for children that cover all major world religions from a secular, factual perspective. I am becoming increasingly concerned that Little Kiwi is only exposed to Catholicism, and although I have introduced him to the idea of other religions, my own knowledge of their beliefs, doctrines and rituals would be pretty basic, and I would like him to be as well informed of other religions as he is of Catholicism. Seeing as it is being presented as fact in school, I would like him to start to gain a more in depth understanding that it is only one of many religions.

He's 7 and in first class, so I want to start now before the communion fiasco hits in the next school year. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure many of you who are parents have been here already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Probably no harm introducing Mythology books to the Small Kiwi too - Greek, Egyptian, Irish mythology, etcetera. As well as being another view on religions and gods in general, they're also cracking good stories :D

Can also show him where parallels arise between religions and how natural events can also filter into folk conciousness and appear in religions - a good example of that is the Flood myths, which appear in many different religions, suggesting there really was a massive inundation in the Middle East at some stage (it even appears in Irish mythology! (The start of the Book of Invasions) and the plagues of Egypt.

Admittedly, some of this might be getting a bit specific.

Edit: Worth noting that bias always appears - try reading an Irish school history book and an English school history book, reading their perspectives on Oliver Cromwell, for instance! If you want to be sure about what's being presented, a book published in a predominately Catholic country and a book published in a predominately non-Catholic country would be a bit more balanced; i.e. Ireland and the US. I'd go as far to say a non-Christian country, but it'd probably be hard to get one in English.

Edit to the edit: Forgive the scientist in me speaking, but perhaps you could keep us semi-updated on how much the sacrament of Communion takes over the year in Second Class? I know I'd be interested to know how much time is spent on religion in the special years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

I've been telling bedtime stories of Greek and Norse gods for ages to get my 6, 4 & 4 year old lads used to the idea that there's loads of gods and I've even caught my 6 year old changing his minecraft name to "God of Poo" for giggles.

Just read up a bit on the mythology yourself and tell interactive bedtime stories instead -loads more fun and you can adapt the stories to any questions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Thanks Samaris, some fantastic ideas there. Mythology is a great example of where gods go when they have past their used by date. We have touched on a few stories of Greek and Irish mythology but I haven't ever linked it to religion with Little Kiwi. I often tell him that if he were going to school in NZ, AUS, UK, US, Canada, France etc, etc that he wouldn't be only learning about one religion, but all of them and there would be no school masses, prayers etc. My sister is a primary school teacher back home actually, I never thought to ask her to send me what is taught about religion in the NZ curriculum, because she stopped working a couple of years ago when her first child came, but she will still have access to teaching resources. That's a great idea too.

Will keep you updated about the dreaded communion year. I'll start a thread about it in Seltember haha.

• Advertisement

It sounds like Mythology is the way to go. Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton might have to take a break for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    It sounds like Mythology is the way to go. Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton might have to take a break for a while.

Looking back now, I can probably trace the roots of my atheism to my considerable interest in mythological stories as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's a series of small books in the children's section of our local library, each one an introduction to a particular religion.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Hi guys, I'm looking for recommendations on books for children that cover all major world religions from a secular, factual perspective.

Encyclopedia Britannica. If you don't want to buy the kids edition, the website offers 'free' access to Irish children. Either get them to search or print off pages yourself for them...you'll probably have to register through the school or get them to sign up but it's 'free'. But I recommend buying the physical books.Or go to the Library.

(The Govt. pays the half a million euro yearly subscription fee, so might as well use it)

There's also Wikipedia for Schools - kid safe. There is, or used to be, an offline version which you can download. I can't find the link at the moment but I have it installed on an old PC not connected to the internet.

I can highly recommend The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins - make sure to get the hardback illustrated version.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Have just ordered a couple of mythology books, well illustrated and at a level that will engage Little Kiwi and also The Magic of Reality, which I really like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Have just ordered a couple of mythology books, well illustrated and at a level that will engage Little Kiwi and also The Magic of Reality, which I really like the look of.

I bought the hard cover copy of the magic of reality to read with my kids when they're old enough. It's a really well made and presented book but a bit much for my 6 year old. Maybe in a year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've never read it myself but I've heard good things about The Belief Book.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I bought the hard cover copy of the magic of reality to read with my kids when they're old enough. It's a really well made and presented book but a bit much for my 6 year old. Maybe in a year or two

I suspect it might be a bit above Little Kiwi's level too at 7, reviews seem to say that it's aimed at kids from about 12, but younger children have responded well with extra adult input. I think in a year or so it'll possibly be about right but I want to read it now!

My almost-8 year old is reading it at the moment, fwiw...

Life ain't always empty.

kylith wrote: »
    I've never read it myself but I've heard good things about The Belief Book.

Thanks Kylith, read reviews on this, looks great, ordered that too.

The Belief Book and the Magic of Reality arrived today. Both are great books and suitable as an inoculation against religious indoctrination. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Advertisement