Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Vs Tablet

Options
  • 06-01-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm going travelling for a few months and I'm looking at getting either a small laptop or a tablet.

I've no idea where to start my research so I decided to start this thread. My sister has an Apple I -Pad and is happy enough with it - although she thinks it's abit restricted i.e. no USB ports etc.

I've a laptop already and it's a few years old - too big and heavy to carry around with me.

Can anyone please offer me some advice on this. I would be very interested to hear if anyone has any preference for what's in the market at the moment! Hoping to buy with the next month!

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Depends, what will you be using it for exactly?!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

davo2001 wrote: »
    Depends, what will you be using it for exactly?!

Well, a bit of everything - primarily internet, checking emails etc. storage of information/ pictures from camera - browsing the websites, media use - watching movies/ listening to music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I'd suggest a netbook, I tablets are ok for general browsing but if you're going to be writing emails it's hard to beat a proper keyboard.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I'd suggest a netbook, I tablets are ok for general browsing but if you're going to be writing emails it's hard to beat a proper keyboard.

Ah..that's what they are called..''netbooks'' they are the small version of laptops, right?! Yes, I have been considering one of those for sure!

Is there any particular model that you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

What about Microsoft Surface tablet with the keyboard. Dunno what your budget is tho
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/microsoft-surface-3-64gb.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

I HATE tablets. Laptop for me everytime.

I HATE tablets. Laptop for me everytime.[/QUOT

Why do you HATE the tablet? is it because of no keyboard?

What about Microsoft Surface tablet with the keyboard. Dunno what your budget is tho
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/microsoft-surface-3-64gb.html

Thanks for the information - yeah I am quite limited on budget - trying to keep things low cost but good value - I'm not looking for anything fancy and overly complicated - just something that does the job! Ideally anything up to about 400euro max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

This can be used as laptop or in tablet form, very handy, spec is ok
    http://www.komplett.ie/lenovo-yoga-300-11ibr/20693625/details.aspx
    or
    Toshiba Satellite C55-C-1GR with a SSD so will be quicker to boot and performance will be better
    http://www.komplett.ie/toshiba-satellite-c55-c-1gr/80041278/details.aspx

Id go with the toshiba spec wise but the lenovo could be handy for you

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Second vote for the surface, I have the pro 3 and it's great! I think the newer keyboard is a bit sturdier as well, I've found the keyboard with the pro 3 to be a little bit flimsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi OP,

If its the oul browsing you will be doing emailing and skyping etc, then you cant really beat a chromebook in terms of speed weight and battery life.

I suggest you bring some SD cards for camera storage and an OTG cable for the phone etc so you can swap stuff onto the SD cards.

keep it clean light and cheap.

listermint wrote: »
    Hi OP,

If its the oul browsing you will be doing emailing and skyping etc, then you cant really beat a chromebook in terms of speed weight and battery life.

I suggest you bring some SD cards for camera storage and an OTG cable for the phone etc so you can swap stuff onto the SD cards.

keep it clean light and cheap.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask you what is the difference a ''Netbook'' and a ''Chromebook''? or are they the same thing?!

A netbook will run windows and may have a HDD, a chromebook has an SSD and the OS is google chrome, they are very good but the don't support certain things (I can't exactly remember what but I'm sure google will) however with a bit of tweeking these restrictions can usually be side stepped.

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/10-things-google-should-fix-on-the-chromebook-1165837/3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

You could buy a cheap windows tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard. I have a linx 8 I use when travelling. Weighs nothing. Does all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got an Acer last year...bit of a hybrid, can be a tablet & has fixed keyboard

Only downside is available space on the SSD and you will need this if storing pics

That would (I'm guessing) be light and quite fast however there is only 32GB of storage. You can get 15GB free with google drive and another 2GB with dropbox - you can also pay these two companies for more space. Otherwise you could by an external hard drive with suffice space for movies / photos / music.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    That would (I'm guessing) be light and quite fast however there is only 32GB of storage. You can get 15GB free with google drive and another 2GB with dropbox - you can also pay these two companies for more space. Otherwise you could by an external hard drive with suffice space for movies / photos / music.

Thanks for your review.

Do you think it's a reasonable price for what is being offered?

yes it's reasonable and it's a reliable make too.

Advertisement