Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall, NW Spain, Portugal January 6th-11th

Options
  • 05-01-2016 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

The GFS model is suggesting some fairly biblical daily rainfall totals in NW Spain and Portugal over the period from 6th-11th January.

Has anyone seen any projections for rainfall accumulations? Looks like there could be 400mm+ in some areas over that period.

:eek:

One to keep an eye on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I live in Galicia about 25 away from the coast and about 3 kilometres north of the Portuguese border and today it poured down heavily .
    I was also awakened this morning by thewonderful sound of thunder and at the very same time fireworks were been set of by the locals.
    The winter here so far has been unusually mild but I'm getting the feeling that it's all about to changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Thanks for the contribution to the thread. It's always good to have a reporter on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

You will have a excuse me, it's fiesta time here and I've had a glass or two of vino.
    I'll try to write a more on constructive report when the weather sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cromelex

Well, I am still living in Portugal (Lisbon), and I can tell you it has been raining almost non-stop since Sunday.
    So far there have been no issues with flooding anywhere (that I've heard of in the news, at least).
    Usually it doesn't last as long.. and based on the above it seems it will be getting worse.

I don't mind the rain, at least it gets me in the correct mindset for moving to Dublin next week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Some warnings coming out now.

Heavy rain to heighten flood risk in northwestern Spain this weekend, - Accuweather
    A stormy start to 2016 across parts of Spain has those in the northwestern parts of the country on alert for flooding problems into the weekend.
    After waves of rain sweep through northwestern half of the country on Thursday and Friday, new rainfall amounts in Vigo could reach 200 mm (7.87 inches) in just a week's time.

Worth noting that while Ireland just had the wettest December on record, Portugal had the driest. That should lessen the impact of the rains a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement