Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal requirements for towing a caravan.

Options
  • 05-01-2016 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello, sorry I know this isn't the correct place to post but I can't seem to find a caravaning forum?

Basically we are looking to purchase a caravan soon for family holidays. Now I passed my driving test in 2001 and my licence only shows B marked. However on the rsa website it says I can tow a caravan/trailer up to 750kg or up to 3500kg weight of caravan + vehicle combined. Where do I stand if stopped? Do I need to do a trailer towing test? I'm completely bewildered as I was sure I couldn't legally tow anything but everyone I've asked have said I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 raffopj

Again admin please move to correct section if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭bigroad

What vehicle will you be using to tow the caravan and what weight is the caravan.

bigroad wrote: »
    What vehicle will you be using to tow the caravan and what weight is the caravan.

The car is a Mitsubishi Grandis diesel approx 1800kg, caravan is around 1450kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

raffopj wrote: »

1800+1450 is less than 3500. You have to make sure it doesn't exceed the gross train weight of the car which will be stamped on the plate under the bonnet. Also you need to should be aware of the maximimum nose weight and not exceed it which should be stamped on your towbar I'd plate.

1800+1450 is less than 3500. You have to make sure it doesn't exceed the gross train weight of the car which will be stamped on the plate under the bonnet. Also you need to should be aware of the maximimum nose weight and not exceed it which should be stamped on your towbar I'd plate.
    Thanks, yes I realise that. My problem is with my licence. It doesn't state anywhere on it that I can tow a trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

.........................I passed my driving test in 2001 and my licence only shows B marked. However on the rsa website it says I can tow a caravan/trailer up to 750kg or up to 3500kg weight of caravan + vehicle combined. .........................................

There's your answer above, but it's a little confusing.
    What it means is that if the trailer is not over 750kg it can be towed by any vehicle the B licence covers. For example if you have a camper that's rated at 3,500kg you can tow such a trailer behind it giving a total combined weight of 4,250kg BUT if the trailer is over 750kg the limit is 3,500kg.
    So if the trailer (caravan) is for example 1700kg GVW the car needs to be not more than 1800kg GVW so as not to exceed the 3,500kg limit. Also it is illegal to have the trailer heavier than the towing vehicle (articulated vehicles excepted).
    For the outfit stability and safe towing the accepted wisdom is that the weight of trailer (caravan) should be no mare than 80% that of the towing car.

In your case once the combined GVW also called MTPLM or MAM of both the car and the caravan does not exceed 3,500kg your B licence is OK, you will find both weights on the VIN plate of each, just add them together to see how your fixed.

Here's a very good link to where you can check your own particular car and caravan http://www.towcar.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭bigroad

Your Mitsubishi is rated to tow 2000kg so that's good news.
    Your combination looks to be legal and your licence will cover you to tow that caravan with that vehicle.

Advertisement