Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

History Essays

• 05-01-2016 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi everyone,

I'm at a lost as to how to prepare enough essays to cover myself..I feel I am so far behind and I've lost all confidence in my ability to write a good History essay!

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Consonata

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ruairibrady

History definitely seems like one of those subjects where a lot of people get bogged down in towards the 2nd half of the year. Maybe the history students of 2016/17 could help one another in threads like this? Seen it in previous years where they had whole threads going of swapping essays and sharing advice on the project etc. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Consonata

History definitely seems like one of those subjects where a lot of people get bogged down in towards the 2nd half of the year. Maybe the history students of 2016/17 could help one another in threads like this? Seen it in previous years where they had whole threads going of swapping essays and sharing advice on the project etc. Thoughts?

Definetly working together to get a list of essays together and help each other prepare and find out studying techniques seems to be essential with a subject like history when the content is massive. You might almost need a seperate History thread, I wonder if theres anybody around who can offer help who has done History in past years

Consonata wrote: »
    Definetly working together to get a list of essays together and help each other prepare and find out studying techniques seems to be essential with a subject like history when the content is massive. You might almost need a seperate History thread, I wonder if theres anybody around who can offer help who has done History in past years

Yeah definitely! Lets see if we can get any more history students to come forward on this and see what we can get going!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Hiya! I do history in school at the moment and I know the essays can be a pain but you can get through it, don't worry. There is basically a formula and this is how my teacher puts it:

1 - no introduction. Do not write a paragraph introducing your essay, you will not get much or any marks for this. My teacher strongly recommends you dive straight into the essay.

2- 8/9 paragraphs. Make all paragraphs a similar length, and don't forget historical content - names, dates, places - it all counts!

3- No conclusion. Again, like an introduction, exclude it, very little marks on offer. Instead of a conclusion, write an extra paragraph regarding a new point. This again was my teacher's advice. He's an experienced teacher too and definitely knows what he's doing.

4 - Timing- My teacher's recommendation is 42.5 minutes for each essay (5-6 pages per essay) so it needs practice. Maximum time should be 45. If you exceed this time on an essay, please stop and move onto the next one.

The best way to improve the essays and build confidence in them is to practice them. Plan the essay first very briefly, then time yourself, make sure you have historical content and your answer is relevant to the question. Also make sure your answer fits in with the dates given in the question.

I hope this somehow helped, if you have any more questions just PM me!

Best of luck with your studies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

My teacher said to definitely include an intro and conclusion. What he recommended was to add something new to the conclusion like a quote or statistic. He also advises to write as much as you can and not to pay attention to how many paragraphs you write. Just put in as much information as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

My teacher told us to have an intro, 5 long paragraphs or 12 shorter ones and a conclusion. She also said to make sure to include your own opinion as opposed to just spouting off reams of information to show that you have actually thought about the event/time period etc.

How are you guys going about studying for the Mocks?

Advertisement