Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TV data usage vs chromecast

Options
  • 05-01-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi folks

Not sure if this is in right forum but let me know if not!

I recently purchased an LG smart TV and was wondering if watching netflix via my TV uses less or more data than if I used a chromecast to cast my phone onto the TV. The reason I ask is that I can only get meteor broadband in my apartment and that's capped at 30GB. I noticed that watching netflix or youtube directly from app on TV eats data. If chromecast uses less I would probably go with that...

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I would imagine that there would be little or no difference between the 2 devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It depends on how aggressive the app on each is. Its possible the TV will push harder to select 1080p 60 where as the phone/cc might fall back to 720p 30, the difference in usage there would be significant.

As every TV uses its own eco-system the best way is for you to test it. Disconnect everything, check usage count, run tv for 30 mins of HD content, check usage, run cc for 30 mins of HD content, check usage. Assuming the 3/4G device has a counter, don't use your meteor account page.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Show1989

Good idea. Thanks Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

If your TV has 4K then it could download much higher, I think you also need the relevant Netflix sub to access that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Show1989

digiman wrote: »
    If your TV has 4K then it could download much higher, I think you also need the relevant Netflix sub to access that also.

what is 4k and how do i check for it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement