Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offering a planning application, site assessment and drafting service. Any point?

Options
  • 05-01-2016 12:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm a civil engineer working with a multinational consultancy.

As a means of earning a little extra income I'm considering whether it is a) possible and b) worthwhile at getting into offering a service for submitting planning applications and doing site assessments/precolation tests, drafting etc for domestic projects and farms. My brother did it some time ago as a side before emigrating.

I'm hoping someone can advise me as to what I would be likely to be facing into, if it is even worth it or perhaps, even, if I am half cracked and this is a complete non runner!!.

I'd obviously need PI. What can I expect to pay and if I give up the gig do I need to keep on for a certain number of years?

One major major obstacle I see in this is that I'm not yet chartered so cannot fulfil an assigned certifier role. I would imagine most people building would favour a one-stop-shop for site assessment, drafting, planning, and assigned certifier. Does this mean it is a no-go?

Then there's the issue of potential moonlighting - I'm working with a large consultancy that generally deal with large infrastructural projects. The is a no-compete clause in my contract but to be fair there wouldn't be any competition as the company I work for wouldn't be involved in small domestic stuff anyway. And from what I hear most are tipping away at a few nixers on sly, it's a given and a blind eye is turned and nothing is said.... What do ye think here?

Thank you all!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I personally think a one stop shop is beneficial to the client.
    I used to work for a relatively small consulting engineering firm in Harold's Cross and we provided everything from initial meeting, design scope, planning, structure, supervision, project management and finally certification.

It's a nice role as you get to see things through from start to finish, get to research proposed products. It's a bit trickier now as you have to ensure the products you pick are CE and CPR compliant and their DoP's are true and legal as you will be standing over the finish article.

I'm on the other side of the fence now so don't have any current experience of it but I would be the guy asking you to demonstrate building regulation compliance to me ;)

Advertisement