Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steinhart Triton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Steinhart are a great manufacturer of quality, yet affordable watches. They mostly do very nice homages to classic style of watches, e.g. the Ocean Vintage Military is a very good homage to the Rolex milsub, and individual enough to be a good watch in its own right, and the flieger's hail back to the laco, stowa, IWC etc.

They also have some of their own designs of which the Triton is one.
    Its a good watch, its 300m water resistance so will stand up to diving & outdoor use.
    It has an ETA 2824-2 movement which is a rock solid staple of the watch world, and its version is the elabore version which is an upgrade, in that its better regulated and can have slightly upgraded components occasionally. That doesnt really matter as even the base 2824-2 is great, but its nice to have.

The watch will be a good watch, no question, so its down to the subjective question of is it a good watch "for you".
    Its 45mm so it would be relatively big. id find it huge on my wrist. I also find big watches uncomfortable so it wouldnt suit my tastes.

It also has a chunky utilitarian tool watch style. if this is good is again down to your subjective taste.

If you like the look, think it wont be too big and can afford it, go for it. Steinhart make great watches and even if theres an issue, Steinhart support are excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

And if it's not for you, I'd say you won't lose much if you sold it on. When Steinharts are out of stock, it's not unusual to see people paying more than the RRP on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

45mm is massive. Properly, seriously big. I have 8 inch wrists and 42mm-ish is about as large as I'd go. My daily driver at the moment is a 43mm Glycine and to be honest it's uncomfortable at this time of year to get it under the cuff of a shirt + jumper.

That said, I believe that Steinhart will allow you to return the watch as long as you don't remove the plastic from the dial. Solid retail values so if you get sick of it you'll shift it on here or Adverts pretty easily. The ETA 2824 movement is tried and tested and keeps time well. You'll probably find it'll run about +7 to +15 seconds a day, maybe even a bit better.

Once criticism I do have of the Steinhart is that their watches don't look quite as good in real life as they do on the very slick photographs on the website. I'm not a huge fan of dive watches (if you gave me a Rolex sub I'd have it up on Adverts within an hour) yet the pics on their site seriously tempt me to get an Ocean one every time I see them.

Advertisement