Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was RTE: Rebellion called Rebellion?

Options
  • 04-01-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I watched the first episode and I enjoyed it. Does anybody know why it was called 'Rebellion' and not 'Rising'? My opinion of the word Rebellion is negative in this regard. We call it the 1916 Rising and the British called it the 1916 Rebellion. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

I watched the first episode and I enjoyed it. Does anybody know why it was called 'Rebellion' and not 'Rising'?

'Rebellion' is a catchy one word title.

In my opinion it would have to have been called 'The Rising' rather than 'Rising'.
    We call it the 1916 Rising and the British called it the 1916 Rebellion.

You also have to remember that potentially it will have more viewers outside of Ireland then will watch it on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

brian_t wrote: »
    You also have to remember that potentially it will have more viewers outside of Ireland then will watch it on RTE.

It's not uncommon for a tv show to have a different name in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Rising sounds too much like a bad pop group.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes, they might have been worried people would confuse it with the Bruce Springsteen album.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Because it's not just about The Rising. The 3 main characters are rebelling against different things. Frances is full on rebelling against anything even vaguely British. Mae is first rebelling against her friend and then against her boss/lover. Elizabeth is rebelling against her family, what's expected from her as a woman, as a member of the Anglo Irish class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

When Lord Chesterfield was viceroy in Dublin his valet appeared one morning shouting excitedly: "Sir, they're rising in the west." The lord looked at his watch and replied: " at nine o'clock it's about time."

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

the peasants are revolting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Because it's not just about The Rising. The 3 main characters are rebelling against different things. Frances is full on rebelling against anything even vaguely British. Mae is first rebelling against her friend and then against her boss/lover. Elizabeth is rebelling against her family, what's expected from her as a woman, as a member of the Anglo Irish class.

Are there any known real life Elizabeth's who took part in 1916?? I'd be interested in reading more about them If there was

Are there any known real life Elizabeth's who took part in 1916?? I'd be interested in reading more about them If there was

I can't link anything because I'm on my phone but if you Google "women of the rising" there's a couple of articles which say nearly 100 women were arrested for their part in events. There's an RTE radio documentary linked, originally aired in the 60's that has real life testimony from a women who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It started as a rebellion and failed to become one so is called a rising.

• Advertisement

I can't link anything because I'm on my phone but if you Google "women of the rising" there's a couple of articles which say nearly 100 women were arrested for their part in events. There's an RTE radio documentary linked, originally aired in the 60's that has real life testimony from a women who took part.

Dr. Kathleen Lynn is worth looking up too. Quite likely the character of Elizabeth is loosely based in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Had never heard of Lynn to be honest. I see TG4 did a documentary on her a few years ago, must try to get my hands on it.

Had never heard of Lynn to be honest. I see TG4 did a documentary on her a few years ago, must try to get my hands on it.

TG4 have done some great documentaries on the period in general. Seachtar Dearmadta and Seachtar na Casca are both worth seeing. SnC focuses on the 7 signatories of the Proclamation and then SD focuses on the "forgotten 7" aka the other men that were executed in Kilmainham.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

TG4 have done some great documentaries on the period in general. Seachtar Dearmadta and Seachtar na Casca are both worth seeing. SnC focuses on the 7 signatories of the Proclamation and then SD focuses on the "forgotten 7" aka the other men that were executed in Kilmainham.

TG4 are repeating the Seachtar Na Cásca series. They are a great set of documentaries for anyone who's interested in getting more background information on those involved in organising the Rising and the period in general.

The first part tells the story of Tom Clarke and is on tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Does anybody know why it was called 'Rebellion' and not 'Rising'? My opinion of the word Rebellion is negative in this regard. We call it the 1916 Rising and the British called it the 1916 Rebellion. Thoughts?

It may have something to do with the Irish "Eiri Amach." (Sorry, I can't do the sine fada.) Also or alternatively, some of the rebel leaders, particularly Pearse and Plunkett, were big into religious allegory, and it wasn't entirely coincidental that the Rising coincided with the Christian feast of the Resurrection.

The Gifford sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

A book called Renegades by Ann Matthews is about the role of women in that revolutionary period and is worth a look.

http://www.mercierpress.ie/irish-books/renegades_irish_republican_women_1900_1922/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

They'd already used "Insurrection" in 1966 for a similar dramadoc.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Haven't caught it yet. Is there much relating to the events in it or is it just a love story/soap type thing just with it as the setting? The trailers made it look like the latter.

There's another thread discussing the show itself. Surprised this hasn't been merged into it yet.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    I know but it's probably up to double digit pages already.

To answer your question... Personally I think the first episode was pretty good. Lot of set up and introduction of characters, as you'd expect from any first episode, so not too much action.
    A few recognisable historical figures were featured, briefly, but we knew they were not the focus of this particular program.

I don't know why people think/thought this would be heavy on romance based on the trailer. There are a variety of relationships, romantic and otherwise, but I wouldn't say they were at all the focus or primary plot. The took up very little time in the first episode anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭DonnaMarieAva

Thank you! I didn't think of it that way. Thanks everyone for their answers :)

Advertisement