Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One for those in the trade...gap insurance.

Options
  • 04-01-2016 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

I've been offered gap insurance on a new car, 36 month policy with a max payout of €25k provided the car is a total loss.

Are these policies worth looking into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

It's a policy to make to make up the difference between market value at the time of total loss and the cost to buy a brand new car.

So for example, car is €30k new, year two it's written off and my fully comp insurance pays out market value of €20k, gap policy pays €10k so I can buy new again.

It's for 3 years and the max they will pay on total loss is €25k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

On a Golf R it's a no brainer. Any of them that I sold the customer always took it. Was the same with BMW customers.

Wouldn't be interested if it was a standard golf or focus or something but on a car that may attract attention I would.

On a Golf R it's a no brainer. Any of them that I sold the customer always took it. Was the same with BMW customers.

Wouldn't be interested if it was a standard golf or focus or something but on a car that may attract attention I would.

Thanks for the advice.

What do you charge for the policy? ;)

Neilw wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

What do you charge for the policy? ;)

Think most places is 399 for 25k cover

Think most places is 399 for 25k cover

I was quoted €595, then reduced to €485.

• Advertisement

Neilw wrote: »
    I was quoted €595, then reduced to €485.

Sounds pricey at that. Unless it's gone up in price since....

Don't sell it in the current place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does anyone have other thoughts on gap insurance. We're planning to buy a 131 shortly with deposit and finance. Our dealer has recommended looking into Return to Invoice gap insurance. I can see the benefits, but am not 100% convinced.

I plan to talk to my insurance company tomorrow anyway in order to start making the arrangements to transfer insurance. But I'd appreciate any thoughts in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Wondering about this too. Got "offered" it by the finance company today, it's 10.50 per month for 36 months so just shy of 380 eur. The car I bought is a Hyundai Tuscon Exec, 161 and was around the 30k mark. I think it might be worth getting but wanted to see if anyone had any other advice about it.

*edited to say I've just checked my car insurance and that claims to replace the car new for old writhing the first year so I'm guessing that makes the insurance a bit pointless in year one anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I'd imagine most places will insist on you taking the policy from when you take the car, and that you can't only start it after the car's first birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

sillysocks wrote: »
    Wondering about this too. Got "offered" it by the finance company today, it's 10.50 per month for 36 months so just shy of 380 eur. The car I bought is a Hyundai Tuscon Exec, 161 and was around the 30k mark. I think it might be worth getting but wanted to see if anyone had any other advice about it.

*edited to say I've just checked my car insurance and that claims to replace the car new for old writhing the first year so I'm guessing that makes the insurance a bit pointless in year one anyway?
    You can only buy GAP insurance within first 3 months of buying d car.

• Advertisement

That makes sense.... thanks! Hadn't thought of that :)

So generally do people think it's a good idea then (and I guess in particular for what I've bought).

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

sillysocks wrote: »
    That makes sense.... thanks! Hadn't thought of that :)

So generally do people think it's a good idea then (and I guess in particular for what I've bought).

If your car is financed and is written off after d accident, you will owe more to your bank than you'll get from d insurance. It def worth buying.

If your car is financed and is written off after d accident, you will owe more to your bank than you'll get from d insurance. It def worth buying.

Thanks! Think I'll go for it. I thought it made sense when they rang about it but wasn't sure was I just falling for a good sales pitch :)

Advertisement