Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paramedic Science UK - Anybody have advice/help??

• 04-01-2016 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey guys,
    Can anyone help on advice in the UK paramedic science? Anybody know the best recommended university?

Is the trust route better?
    Thanks everyone be very greatful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

I believe if you manage to successfully secure a job at the HSE NAS you are qualified as an advanced paramedic. This means you get a bonus of around EUR 9800 every year. I also believe that the Paramedical Science courses are quite competitive in the UK... So study hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It depends, you won't get RPL'd as an Advanced PAramedic with just the course. You'll need some further study and a little bit of time on the road.

Jobs are also in short supply at the moment as well. But if you have the degree surely you'll be hired when they start recruiting... You could also do a years work in the UK if not.

Jobs are also in short supply at the moment as well. But if you have the degree surely you'll be hired when they start recruiting... You could also do a years work in the UK if not.

There is seriously no shortage of work in the UK

https://www.unison.org.uk/content/uploads/2015/11/Recruitment-and-retention-of-ambulance-staff-PRB-November-2015-FINAL.pdf

....show that recruitment campaigns are
    unsuccessful due to the lack of available paramedics in the UK. Most ambulance
    services are running overseas recruitment exercises..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/12041943/Doubling-in-paramedics-leaving-the-NHS.html

Trusts over there are throwing money at it. I'm off over there come this september.

Mycroft H wrote: »

Wow...I would have thought the NHS would have been similar to the HSE. I wonder does the HSE provide better pay/working conditions than the NHS?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the problems are similar however they're just not hiring. It was 2013 the last time a new student panel was opened with the HSE. That's 3 years ago....

The NHS seem to be doing something about it. Some trusts have moved Paramedics up a pay band to band 6; equiv of a senior Nurse. This is in response to the increased education and autonomy that paras have over there now.

Advertisement