Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf - What to expect when your expecting

Options
  • 04-01-2016 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

The wife is due in February, our first... I'm preparing myself for big changes to my life and a lot less golf. I was very lucky to get to play lots over the last couple of years and would like to try & maintain(dare I say improve) my game.
    Long term I'm hoping after a few years I'll have brainwashed them enough into loving golf(by osmosis mainly) and I'll be able to use it as an excuse to play more :)
    Any tips, advice or anecdotes to help me get prepared for the impending change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I used a the whole experience as a chance to get out of the house and play more golf myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Be prepared to do as many baby related things as possible to 'buy' golfing time! From my own experience the amount of time playing definitely suffers for a couple of years but it's well worth it in the end and you will get out now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I was basically useless at anything infant related and found myself being kicked out of the house .... nothing worse than ending up with a bigger mess than when you started ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My wife bought me 1 of those distance measuring watches for Christmas.

She definitely intends for me to continue playing golf for the foreseeable ;)

(daughter born 10 days ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have 3 under 6 and was in the same boat myself, played early and late 9 holes in the summer ended up playing just as much. Depends on the baby they sleep a lot so if you are bottle feeding doing the 6am feed and heading off to play after gets u a lot of brownie points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Hi, Just book very early tee time at weekend and you should be home within 4 hours. Then take over baby minding duties and let your wife head out. A bit of give and take and you should be able to play the same amount of golf. Just need to pick times that suit family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Oh yea, if you haven't discussed it yet, apparently there are magnificent benefits in breastfeeding over bottles, so from the babys point of view, Breast is best

The biggest benefit from my point of view was simple. I don't have boobs :D

mind you, if I did have them, not sure how much golf I would ever get to play ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

One good tip is keeping your bats in the jam jar along with a pair of strides and your golf ones and twos, if she asks why you were late or rings while you are playing just say you are on a course. My current set of bats has never been inside the Mickey mouse. This strategy makes justifying the game at the weekend a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Having read all the above posts I am truly disgusted at each and everyone of your replies. The answer is quite simple and priorities should and must prevail. So ask yourself what's more important your happiness or some crying child and woman's. Now go get your clubs and head out. Yours a soon to be newly single father 😉 should my pregnant wife see this..

Best of luck with the new arrival

Advertisement