Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Vendor Marketplace Solution options

Options
  • 04-01-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to start a multi vendor marketplace website. The marketplace will be for niche specific physical items, will need good category/filtering (especially searching by region/country), work well on mobile devices, and have direct payment commission functionality (such as Paypal chained adaptive payments/ Stripe).

I am looking for a turn key solution rather than a scratch build (overpriced and headaches), such as a wordpress plug in or some standalone CMS. But I am having a bit of a time of it getting through the BS. Wow these companies push their products hard. I've had to go to Google page 5 to find an actual independent review in some cases, and even at that 'independent' is hard to verify. A lot of the youtube explainer videos have comments disabled too which is worrying.

So I have been looking through some of the solution out there. Here is my experience so far:

Etsyclone/Getsy - Nicely laid out, but full of spelling/grammar mistakes, not very flexible and everything seems to be a problem.
    Sharetribe - Too basic in functionality, no statistical information, no available plugins, but it does seem to have been built with practicality in mind.

The rest I do not have practical experience with, but have been reading whatever reviews I could find.
    Marketify - Wordpress plugin on top of woocommerce. Very modern layout, but it is a little unintuitive. Its cheap and responsive. Could be a solution for me.
    Dakon - Wordpress plugin on top of woocommerce. Nice merchant dashboard, but apparently its buggy.
    Magento - They have a marketplace solution with two tiers, a basic for 300 and pro for 1800 aprox. I have been finding it hard to get good information on this, but it seems to be a little old style?
    Prestashop - they have a multi vendor solution, but Ive used prestashop before and would like something different.
    Then there are a few other Wordpress plugins/themes - Squarecode, Marketica, Makery, Checkout. All difficult to get actual good information on rather than a sales pitch.

I need a solution that has been through the mill. Here is an example of what I can not deal with anymore - After jumping into sharetribe, I soon found out that it did not even have a function for merchants to give multiple shipping prices pending on shipping zones, nightmare.

If anyone here has any experience or advice on the best way to move forward I would really appreciate it.

My experience is - basic html/css, basic Ruby/Rails through Git/Heroku. I have employed Irish developers for php/server implementation etc. who are expensive, and also outsourced recently which is much cheaper but comes with its own difficulties.

Regards,
    Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Have a look at CS Cart:

http://www.cs-cart.com/multivendor.html

I checked it out a few years ago for a client, the project never got approved so I don't have real world experience with it.

From what I remember it was fairly capable if a little clunky sometimes and problems are fairly well documented in the forums.

You can get a free hosted demo to give it run.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KpsCowley

Thanks devildriver,

I have looked at cs-cart, they look very good. But it is hard to tell without actual experience of using it.

Kevin.

Advertisement