Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil engineer. Is this all there is? Move to finance?

Options
  • 04-01-2016 12:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

I'm a civil engineer. I like the worl, its interesting but I have lost all enthusiasm for it. Basically I've arrived at the conclusion that it, for lack of a better word, is a shít career. Hard stressful work for feck all money.

I'm working in a consultancy for over 2 years and on only 30k which, frankly is bull crap.

I hear a lot of engineers move into finance and insurance. What is the deal with this? Have any of ye done it? Do you have to start at the bottom again or can one go in at a respectable salary?

If i stay where I am, what can a design engineer in Cork expect to earn.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No one is going to hand anything to you. You will have to make efforts to move in to finance what ever they maybe.

Transferable skills or a post grad qualification would come in handy for this. Have you done any courses that'd help your move?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Would you consider retraining for another engineering disciplin (one that offers a far better salary) ?
    Your skill set is likley to be far more transferable.

I work in a consultancy with several engineers that transferred from one disciplin to another.

Advertisement