Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's business/dress shoes

Options
  • 03-01-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Looking for a decent pair of men's business/dress shoes. Have been stung before in that I've bought what I thought were a decent pair of Hugo Boss shoes that fell apart after about 6 weeks. No particular style design in mind, as long as it's something that'll work in most business/formal situations and will last. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Assuming you're wearing them with a suit, a pair of black cap-toe oxfords by a proper shoe making company is the way to go. Hugo Boss don't make shoes, they just slap their logo on some crap made in the far-east and charge you a massive premium for the name. If you want good shoes, get them from one of the proper English shoe makers like Loake. You'll pay between €200-300 but you should be looking at a lifespan of 10-15 years with resolings every few years.

Avoid anything with a square toe that looks like this, this or this like the plague.

If you drive to and from work and don't do a whole lot of walking then go for leather soles. If you walk a lot outside try to get something with a dainite sole. Try to stay away from shoes with a big clunky rubber sole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I heard good things about Meermin.

https://meermin.es/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Get a pair of decent Loakes or Barkers, they'll actually last. If the shoes aren't Goodyear welted they probably won't last (note that the cheaper Loakes are not) and you're actually spending far more in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Get a pair of decent Loakes or Barkers, they'll actually last. If the shoes aren't Goodyear welted they probably won't last (note that the cheaper Loakes are not) and you're actually spending far more in the long run.

Agree with you on the cheaper Loakes, not good at all. I've had only one pair of Barkers and to be honest the quality wasn't great. Stubbed my toe in them once and a piece of leather chipped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I just came here to ask about shoes - I normally go for Grenson but they've changed their style a bit and the ones I used to get aren't available anymore.

Plus funds aren't what they used to be. And to top it off I'm a size 12 so that makes it harder to get shoes in sizes.

I'm looking for either an Oxford or brogue, preferably dark brown or burgundy. I'd also go for double monks if available. My budget is about 100 - 150, which isn't much I know, but is there any mid-low range shoe out there I should be buying? M&S is no use as they've no sizes, same for Aldo and I always think those kinds of shoes are very plastic-y.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

^^ those Meermin ones might be what I'm looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

meeeeh wrote: »
    I heard good things about Meermin.

https://meermin.es/index.php

Are these on sale in any shops in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you haven't tried a pair, Rockport are one of the most comfortable shoes I've had, the sole is adidas so they feel like really comfortable runners but look exactly like shoes, I'd highly recommend a pair if you don't like the hard feel of shoes but want to look like your wearing a pair http://m.debenhams.ie/men/shoes-boots/rockport?label=bluexonlineprev&gclid=CjwKEAiA8K20BRDetNv3p6DNhXwSJADSwa3tzA_b4T-WH5HNXaowsa5ODq2UqciLeMa2I5YjprlJ6xoCBijw_wcB&m-referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ie%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Meermin shoes are considered to be the best bang for buck out there, but you're taking a chance on their lasts - as you can only order on-line. Unless you are going to Madrid where they have a shop. I've ordered a MTO brown Chelsea boot so I'll see how it goes.

I've a pair of Barker Vivaldi shoes. Without doubt the best pair of shoes I've ever owned, as they fit like a glove, and have developed a lovely patina over the years. This is all down to a trip to Robinsons Shoes in Carrigfergus that I made. Robin spent two hours !!! getting the perfect last fitting for me. Give him a call, it's really worth it, (and only a day trip from Dublin). The problem is that you'll never buy cheap shoes again!

I recently needed them resoled and heeled, and sent them to Robinsons. They sent them back to Barker free of charge (just had to pay £15 postage) to get them professionally rebuilt. Now that was service, and meant that the original outlay was more than worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Meermin shoes are considered to be the best bang for buck out there, but you're taking a chance on their lasts - as you can only order on-line. Unless you are going to Madrid where they have a shop. I've ordered a MTO brown Chelsea boot so I'll see how it goes.

I've a pair of Barker Vivaldi shoes. Without doubt the best pair of shoes I've ever owned, as they fit like a glove, and have developed a lovely patina over the years. This is all down to a trip to Robinsons Shoes in Carrigfergus that I made. Robin spent two hours !!! getting the perfect last fitting for me. Give him a call, it's really worth it, (and only a day trip from Dublin). The problem is that you'll never buy cheap shoes again!

I recently needed them resoled and heeled, and sent them to Robinsons. They sent them back to Barker free of charge (just had to pay £15 postage) to get them professionally rebuilt. Now that was service, and meant that the original outlay was more than worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement