Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GHD for thick hair

Options
  • 03-01-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

After 8 years my GHD has packed in. I have long, thick, frizzy hair and always been really happy with my GHD and how it straightens my hair. Since mine stopped working I've been using my sisters but I find that it doesn't straighten my hair as well as my old one did and also the plates seem to be thinner??
    I have seen that GHD have a 'gold max styler' which seems to be for thicker hair..so I'm just wondering has anyone got one of these and would they reccommend them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Sorry, I have never used a GHD and what I have was recommended by my hairdresser, a G3 Salon Pro styling iron but I am seriously thinking about getting the Karmin Salon Series having read the specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I find the newer ones aren't half as good as the old ones for some reason. I had my old one for over eight years and never found my new one to be as good. Maybe the thicker plates would be better for your hair type?

anna080 wrote: »
    I find the newer ones aren't half as good as the old ones for some reason. I had my old one for over eight years and never found my new one to be as good. Maybe the thicker plates would be better for your hair type?

Do you think there is a difference in the plates??

My G3 Salon Pro has 100% pure Tourmaline Ceramic Plates and the Karmin Salon Series that I am seriously contemplating has 100% floating Ceramic Plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Try the L'Oreal steampod. It's fabulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

anna080 wrote: »

I completely agree. I got my first GHD over 10 years ago and any of the GHDs that I have had since (2 more - 1 limited edition one with red plates and another regular plate GHD) didn't perform the same way at all. The original manufacturers of GHDs are now manufacturing the Cloud Nine hair styling range. I have both the regular plate and wide plate Cloud Nine hair straighteners and they are brilliant, closest thing to the original GHDs that I have tried, I would never go back to GHD to be honest and that's a bit statement from me!

I also have to give a shout out to the steam pod which is brilliant- only thing is if you have very wavy hair like me which starts waving at the roots, it's difficult to get a really smooth finish on top. Most days I use the steam pod to straighten most of my hair and then do very top sections/fringe with my regular plate Cloud Nine.

I know I sound like a hair tool addict...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MusSpo13

I completely agree. I got my first GHD over 10 years ago and any of the GHDs that I have had since (2 more - 1 limited edition one with red plates and another regular plate GHD) didn't perform the same way at all. The original manufacturers of GHDs are now manufacturing the Cloud Nine hair styling range. I have both the regular plate and wide plate Cloud Nine hair straighteners and they are brilliant, closest thing to the original GHDs that I have tried, I would never go back to GHD to be honest and that's a bit statement from me!

I also have to give a shout out to the steam pod which is brilliant- only thing is if you have very wavy hair like me which starts waving at the roots, it's difficult to get a really smooth finish on top. Most days I use the steam pod to straighten most of my hair and then do very top sections/fringe with my regular plate Cloud Nine.

I know I sound like a hair tool addict...:p

Thanks for your help!
    I am disappointed that GHD don't seem to be making their straighteners to the same quality as they used to.
    I'm definitely going to look into these Cloud Nine straighteners. :)

Also, thanks everyone else for your opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭skitzyspider

I have the ghd max styler and I love it! My normal size ghd is at the back of a drawer somewhere as I haven't used it since I got the max styler a year ago. I have long thick hair and the max styler straightens it in less than half the time.
    I also think the max styler plates are more like the old ghd and straighten better.

That's interesting about cloud nine as I do agree that the newer ghds are not as good as the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jheneaiko

I would highly recommend the GHD V Gold Max Styler . The older versions of the GHD Max Stylers aren't as good , so make sure you get this one.
    ghdhair.com/ie/gold-series/ghd-gold-max

Features:
    Protective plate guard
    Professional Finish
    Smoother plates
    Cooler, lighter body
    Ceramic heaters and contoured plates
    Sleep mode

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got the 'GHD V Gold Max Styler' for Christmas to replace my old GHD, which I had for about 10 years.
    I'll be breaking it open for the first time tomorrow to use on my very long and thick hair, so I'll report back!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It worked really well for me. :)

And my hair is very long and wavy and very thick!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help.
    I still haven't decided which one to go for, I think I am going to see if anyone I know has a GHD max or a cloud nine styler and borrow them to see which works better for me..

Just said I'd give a little update for anyone considering buying a new GHD. In the end I went with the thick GHD, it has been working very well for me so far. If your hair is thick definitely go for the thick GHD, I've also used the regular GHD and it's not near as good for my hair. A lot of people have been complementing me on how straight and slick my hair looks. I don't find the GHD any quicker to straighten my hair, it still takes roughly the same time as previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Try the L'Oreal steampod. It's fabulous!

+1 to this!!! It blows ghds right out of the water! Best invention EVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Netty2

+1 to this!!! It blows ghds right out of the water! Best invention EVER!!!

Me too. Have the tightest curls imaginable and works a dream.So much faster and easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭zoeybelle

Hi! Where's the best place to buy one of the l'oreal steam pods? What kind of price are they roughly? I have really thick curly hair and I still have my wide plate ghd from about 8/9 years ago (best present ever) but I do love new gadgets :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

zoeybelle wrote: »
    Hi! Where's the best place to buy one of the l'oreal steam pods? What kind of price are they roughly? I have really thick curly hair and I still have my wide plate ghd from about 8/9 years ago (best present ever) but I do love new gadgets :-D
    I got mine at a hairdressers in Galway. Just do a quick google for your area. You can also buy them online. I also have the old ghd wide plates but the steampod blows it out of the water. It's phenomenal. And good for your hair as you have to put keratin in when using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is steam pod good for thin hair or is it only beneficial to those with thick hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I just did a search online where can you buy the karmin g3 salon pro hair straighteners? is there any salon that stocks them or which is the best website? I saw the steam pod on Peter Mark but a bit too pricey for me.

I just did a search online where can you buy the karmin g3 salon pro hair straighteners? is there any salon that stocks them or which is the best website? I saw the steam pod on Peter Mark but a bit too pricey for me.

I normally go online karminhairtools.com you can then scroll down to choose what you need to know e.g. Where to Buy - I normally get from Rylees, UK, or you could contact Karmin 's customer service & ask if any salons stock them in Ireland.

Advertisement