Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Windows, Old Stone House Kilkenny / Waterford area

Options
  • 03-01-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi Guys,

We are looking for Advice....

We have an old stone house currently fitted with double glazed wooden windows and doors, all of which have arched tops to them and want to replace some of them with UPVC. Recently had a nightmare of a job done by a company who we shall call "Ye-Haa" for the purpose of this email.

They turned up with UPVC doors that didn't fit, tried to hide huge holes where they had missed drilled the holes for handles and locks etc by covering it with a large agricultural steel plate not even fitted straight. large gaps around the frame which they simply used some spray foam to bridge the gap, the list goes on and on and is quite frankly beyond belief!

We waited over 8 weeks for them to be made and really put our faith in this company but have obviously lost all faith at this point.
    They have insisted that they will rectify the issue, but i think we need to get some recommendations and have a few options now before we press forward.
    We understand there aren't too many companies who can make windows and doors with arches, but wondered if anyone can recommend anyone or a specific company?

Thanks in advance...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rjphouse

Also following this thread as. We will be looking for similar windows come the summer for an old farmhouse. Could u pm the company that were a disaster for u if u don't mind so I know to stay clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 stipower

mmmm,i got shafted as well,i also got over 12 windows fitted,my place is a solid stone farmhouse,

The problem i think with window companies is this,

they are well used to dealing with block walls that are level and plumb in newer houses,easy to measure up for a window that will probably fit like a glove,its like a square fitting into a square really! but with solid stone the walls literally need to be butchered to accommodate a new window,

@ filler to skim off the window against the reveal outside,the list goes on,my advice,breath down their necks on site and watch every detail carefully,

my place leaked like a sieve during the bad weather,all around the window frame dripping onto the floor.............yeee haaaaaw boys,and yes they were the cheapest quote,im paying my penance now :)

Advertisement