Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming back medical expenses- VHI or Revenue?

Options
  • 03-01-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Just wondering which is better to claim medical expenses back from- Revenue or VHI?

I have always claimed back medical expenses from Revenue but just wondering what the difference is claiming them back from VHI? I am on First Plan Level 1 with VHI.

All I have to claim back are day to day medical expenses- basically doctors visits and prescriptions.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

VitaminB wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering which is better to claim medical expenses back from- Revenue or VHI?

I have always claimed back medical expenses from Revenue but just wondering what the difference is claiming them back from VHI? I am on First Plan Level 1 with VHI.

All I have to claim back are day to day medical expenses- basically doctors visits and prescriptions.

Thanks!

You're only entitled to claim tax relief on medical expenses net of any benefit from VHI.

So say you have 5 doctors visits @ €60, which is €300.

You can claim (say) €20 per visit from VHI, which is €100.

You're then entitled to claim tax relief @ 20% on the balance of €200 (€300 - €100).

This isn't just the "better" way to claim it, it's actually the only way you should claim it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 VitaminB

Thanks barneystinson!

I'm totally clueless in regards all of this stuff...I have been doing it wrong for years...

So is the process then that I claim back with VHI and after all of that is calculated and issued do I fill out the Med1 form with revenue detailing that amount in the deductions section?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

VHI or similar through a workplace will do the tax back at source so as far as I know you cannot go through revenue if done through your employer. I could be wrong.

Not sure if it is done out of your own pocket.

CramCycle wrote: »
    VHI or similar through a workplace will do the tax back at source so as far as I know you cannot go through revenue if done through your employer. I could be wrong.

Not sure if it is done out of your own pocket.

That's irrelevant, you're talking about the tax relief applicable to the VHI premium, but the OP is asking about how you make claims in relation to actual medical expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 VitaminB

Hi CramCycle,

Thanks. No, not done through employer.

Thanks barneystinson!

I'm totally clueless in regards all of this stuff...I have been doing it wrong for years...

So is the process then that I claim back with VHI and after all of that is calculated and issued do I fill out the Med1 form with revenue detailing that amount in the deductions section?

Yep, ideally that's how you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks barneystinson!

Yes and don't be tempted to do it any other way as the PPS numbers are linked with health insurers now

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you look at the Form Med 1 it asks for total expenses along with amount recovered from Insurer. The tax relief is calculated on the difference. So to answer your question you put everything claimable through Insurer AND Revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Leave what blank? If there was zero refunded by the insurer then insert zero. Different policies have different benefits.

Advertisement