Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Danish Girl

Options
  • 03-01-2016 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else see this? Opinions?

Redmayne was serving pure Oscar material IMHO and could leave DiCaprio gongless again this Oscar season...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I thought it was oscar bait, shallow garbage quite frankly. Only good performances was Vikander and the other chap, German one whose name escapes me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Worthless, watered down Oscarbait of the worst kind. It's so dull and boring and despite the subject matter, very safe and conservative. All blandly shot, of course, in Hooper's trademark mix of wide angle masters and close-ups with off-centre framing. Should have been a made-for-TV drama on True Movies. Vikander is good but she's good in everything and was in two other far more worthwhile films this year. I feel sorry for Redmayne who keeps wasting his talents on these hack directors.

Just watch Tangerine or Lawrence Anyways instead and leave this to the dustbin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Worthless, watered down Oscarbait of the worst kind. It's so dull and boring and despite the subject matter, very safe and conservative. All blandly shot, of course, in Hooper's trademark mix of wide angle masters and close-ups with off-centre framing. Should have been a made-for-TV drama on True Movies. Vikander is good but she's good in everything and was in two other far more worthwhile films this year. I feel sorry for Redmayne who keeps wasting his talents on these hack directors.

I haven't seen this yet but I've seen a lot of similar reviews and I find it so annoying that chances are Vikander will get some sort of Oscar nomination for this film when her work in Ex Machina and Testament of Youth* will go largely ignored simply because this film had the right guy pulling the strings. It just highlights everything that's wrong with the industry and the entire concept of awards season.

*I assume they're the ones you're referring to.

Saw it today and while I can't say it was a bad film it wasn't a particularly great film. It was all a bit meh.

I found the beginning terribly boring. I found it really hard to care for Lili, at all. I found myself far more invested in what was happening to Gerda. Maybe that's down to Alicia Vikander, maybe it's down to bad writing when it came to Lili? I don't know.

I read that this film has been in production for about 15 years and it's purely coincidence that the issue of gender identity and all that is very much a hot button topic at the time the film is coming out. Funnily enough I think that coincidence has done the film more harm than good. It all seemed a bit dated. Like something that was made 20 years ago when nobody was really all that aware of the transgender community and barely touching on the issue would have been enough to make the film a bit controversial or news worthy. Given the age we live in the whole film seemed a little bit safe. Also, I've read up on the real life people and they really have taken their story and cleaned it up into what can only be described as Oscar Bait. Staying closer to real life would have made a much more interesting story.

I stand by what I said in my previous post too, and agree with Sad Professor, Vikander has been involved in at least 2 better films this (awards) year so it's a bit of a shame that this film is the one generating so much awards talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Just watch Tangerine or Lawrence Anyways instead and leave this to the dustbin.

Haven't seen Lawrence Anyways but can confirm that Tangerine is just absolute class. Great movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Saw it tonight. Two hours of my life I wont get back. The fact that its inspired by true events should have meant that more care should have been taken with the screenplay IMO. There's more holes in the story than Swiss cheese, no background to the story and no logical reason why he initially wants to take this step other than he thought his legs looked good in stockings. Alicia Vikander is, however, fantastic and will definitely get an Oscar nod.

marwelie wrote: »
    Saw it tonight. Two hours of my life I wont get back. The fact that its inspired by true events should have meant that more care should have been taken with the screenplay IMO. There's more holes in the story than Swiss cheese, no background to the story and no logical reason why he initially wants to take this step other than he thought his legs looked good in stockings. Alicia Vikander is, however, fantastic and will definitely get an Oscar nod.

Well apparently in real life it did all start when she asked him to fill in for a model and wear the tights and shoes. It went on for years, maybe even a decade or more, before he decided to get the surgery done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Well apparently in real life it did all start when she asked him to fill in for a model and wear the tights and shoes. It went on for years, maybe even a decade or more, before he decided to get the surgery done.

That may well be the case, but it just seemed far too convenient and an excuse to move the story forward.

marwelie wrote: »
    That may well be the case, but it just seemed far too convenient and an excuse to move the story forward.

Yes. I agree with you. I just meant that it was how it started in real life but it went on for much longer than was implied in the film. It wasn't just a case of put tights on on Monday, go out dressed as a woman on Saturday, get willy chopped off a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I had thought this looked interesting but then was told it focused largely on the issue of the main characters surgery and I am not good with medical drama right now, is there a lot of medical or grueling recovery stuff in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I had thought this looked interesting but then was told it focused largely on the issue of the main characters surgery and I am not good with medical drama right now, is there a lot of medical or grueling recovery stuff in it?

In the... second half? There's quite a lot of that I think. Or last third, I can't recall exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

In the... second half? There's quite a lot of that I think. Or last third, I can't recall exactly.

Ok, not for me right now so, thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Vikander won the Critic's choice for Best Supporting Actress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I saw this 3 weeks ago and the one thought that has really stayed with me is that Matthias Schoenaerts would be a great Bond

tumblr_o13ympdhUs1ryy3v5o1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I saw this 3 weeks ago and the one thought that has really stayed with me is that Matthias Schoenaerts would be a great Bond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

FunLover18 wrote: »

Or Wladamir Putin

Advertisement