Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding work before moving

Options
  • 03-01-2016 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Has anybody managed to find work before returning home, I'm looking to move back home from the US, but I want to make sure I'm secure with a job before making the leap.

I've been looking at various job sites and I see plenty of jobs id be qualified for, but then I think that id have no chance of being considered. If anyone has any tips or if they could simply share their success stories that would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Why do you think you have no chance of being considered? While I don't know your specifics, I would say your experience abroad would be of considerable benefit to any employer.

One of the big issues I am finding, an I've heard it from a few other epxats, is that public sector/civil service organisations are desperately backwards in their requirements in terms of presenting yourself for interview. They will not entertain Skype/Telephone interviews - even to the extent that I have seen it on job advertisements. So if you are applying from abroad, don't bother applying to CS/PS.

In terms of more progressive organisations, most will consider a telephone/Skype interview initially, but probably will require you to attend subsequent interviews face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Why do you think you have no chance of being considered? While I don't know your specifics, I would say your experience abroad would be of considerable benefit to any employer.

One of the big issues I am finding, an I've heard it from a few other epxats, is that public sector/civil service organisations are desperately backwards in their requirements in terms of presenting yourself for interview. They will not entertain Skype/Telephone interviews - even to the extent that I have seen it on job advertisements. So if you are applying from abroad, don't bother applying to CS/PS.

In terms of more progressive organisations, most will consider a telephone/Skype interview initially, but probably will require you to attend subsequent interviews face to face.

I think honestly I think I'd have no chance, because like you said I presume most places would be a little backwards, I myself work in IT as a Data Analyst and I've had several years experience in the US at this point, but I'm yearning for home, I'm all setup on LinkedIn and I have my CV all up to date, I suppose all I can do is keep applying with my fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Natonstan wrote: »
    I myself work in IT as a Data Analyst and I've had several years experience in the US at this point,

For goodness sake, you will walk into a job. Seriously. Skype/Telephone interviews will not be a problem with IT companies.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    For goodness sake, you will walk into a job. Seriously. Skype/Telephone interviews will not be a problem with IT companies.

Well Tom, you've definitely made me feel a lot better about my situation, I'm going to go ahead and write up a Cover Letter to go along with my CV and start sending them off.

Thanks for the encouragement

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yeah, seconding Tom 100%. I work in a Tech company and we regularly do skype for first round interviews. LOADS of tech jobs to be had in Dublin at the minute :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, seconding Tom 100%. I work in a Tech company and we regularly do skype for first round interviews. LOADS of tech jobs to be had in Dublin at the minute :)

That makes me feel 100% more optimistic, thank you very much for that. I'm dead set on moving back now, and i'll be applying for as many jobs as I can find in Dublin.

Advertisement