Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tie and pocket square colour?

Options
  • 02-01-2016 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Have a wedding coming up next month and got a new navy three piece suit. I'm thinking of wearing a blue gingham shirt like the one I've linked below with it. Just wondering what tie and pocket square colour to go with? Also I assume it's a bit of a no-no to match the tie and pocket square colours?

Cheers.

25so2dx.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Gingham is an inherently casual pattern so I'm not sure how well it would go with a three-piece suit. If you must wear gingham I'd ditch the waistcoat and wear a tie with a solid, darker colour in either navy, burgundy or a dark green. You could also look at more casual knit ties. I'd keep the pocket square to white linen with a simple TV fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

Agree with the solid coloured tie and ditching the waistcoat, but would go with a pattern on the pocket square, a nice dark paisley would look great with a dark(ish) burgundy tie!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for the input, guys. I actually got two gingham shirts today in a sale for €50, one blue like the one above and the other is red so I now have a bit of a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I would advise against wearing a gingham shirt with a three piece suit I don't think it will look great. You could drop the waistcoat and then you'd have no problem wearing either of the shirts.

On the tie and pocket square you want them to complement eachother but not be the exact same. For pocket squares you could go for something with a large design. Kent Wang do some good ones like this for example. http://www.kentwang.com/pocket-squares/the-great-wave.html you also have the option of using different parts of the design depending on the tie and shirt in the future. If you give us a budget we should be able to pick something out for you.

Also if you are wearing a full three piece suit remember that you shouldn't wear a belt and only braces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I actually disagree with the other posters, I think the pattern shirt could look great with the 3-piece. I'd recommend a cotton navy tie. Not silk, because I think it might be weird with the gingham. Something like this.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AxnbNAAQAFYG8udSxkgAAAA/

It is a bit different, most guys wear plain shirts and patterned ties. Now you do need to dress it up because it is a little more casual so good dark brown shoes, God watch, etc. I'd actually leave out a pocket square and go with a flower lapel instead. Everyone wears pocket squares now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Navy three piece suit with navy gingham shirt (avoid the red) requires a plain solid coloured tie, and a white pocket square in a TV fold. That's the best way of avoiding any clashing patterns; mixing patterns is a bit of an art form and takes a good eye to get it right. The shirt will be busy enough so the TV fold will add a subtle, almost invisible level of classiness without causing the eye to wander around the outfit too much, which a patterned pocket square could lead to.

Be careful pairing a navy tie with a navy suit, as they most likely will be different tones and shades and might clash. Go for a solid brown or burgundy, or a knitted wine tie would also work quite well. A rich olive green or a burnt orange would also be good options (it's a wedding after all).

Here's an example of an orange wool tie with a gingham shirt, navy suit, and white TV square, from my own vast "collection". :) It's not a three piece suit but you get the idea:

cuB8Wqh.jpg

Just make sure the suit is tailored - specifically around the cut at the waist, the length of the sleeves, and the length of the trousers. If you haven't yet done so, bring it to a tailor and get them to fix up any little things that need fixing - it'll make a world of difference.

Advertisement