Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to cycling

Options
  • 02-01-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

New to cycling scene, bought a bike last summer and just rode away! I'm looking now at getting into a bit more cycling and was wondering where I'd find group rides or just people to cycle with.

The whole cycle club thing seems a bit intimidating unless i've got a top of the range road bike etc!

I'm 25 and pretty fit so the likes of casual 100km weekend rides etc wouldnt be daunting.
    Also i'm in Limerick City

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Tobin15 wrote: »
    Hi all,

New to cycling scene, bought a bike last summer and just rode away! I'm looking now at getting into a bit more cycling and was wondering where I'd find group rides or just people to cycle with.

The whole cycle club thing seems a bit intimidating unless i've got a top of the range road bike etc!

I'm 25 and pretty fit so the likes of casual 100km weekend rides etc wouldnt be daunting.

Thanks

What sort of bike did you buy!?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hi all,

Thanks

Hi!

Can't help with the specifics of what club to join in Limerick, but you sound more than fit enough for a club run. I wouldn't worry at all about having a fancy bike, I went out on my first one on a 300 euro hybrid. That might be frowned upon in some clubs, but nobody said boo to me or anything in the one I rode with. Plenty of people ride budget road bikes, nothing at all wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

don't be put off by the whole club scene. not everyone in the clubs have top of the range bikes and not everyone in the clubs are speed masters. lots just enjoy going out and doing 50km winter miles with friends, cup of coffee at a half way point and then in the summer ramp up the distance a bit and/or head for the sportives where anything from 60km to 170km Ring of Kerry are available and lots inbetween

in the city you have Limerick Cycling Club or Cycle 4 Sick Children. both are on facebook or websites. I'm cycling 4 years, same bike since I started but have upgraded bits and pieces of it so while its certainly not the lightest or top of the range, its good for me. The one way to get better and quicker in cycling is to join a group. you mightn't be as fast as them the first week, but each week you head out and each mile you cycle, you'll get faster and better. Also, cycling in a group will pull you along better than just cycling on your own.

http://www.limerickcc.com/
    http://www.cycle4sickchildren.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..I went out on my first one on a 300 euro hybrid. That might be frowned upon in some clubs, but nobody said boo to me or anything in the one I rode with. Plenty of people ride budget road bikes, nothing at all wrong with that.
    Hybrids are not permitted on many group rides for safety reasons - nothing to do with the brand/price/quality of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...The whole cycle club thing seems a bit intimidating unless i've got a top of the range road bike etc!...
    With the exception of a few clubs who are race orientated, most clubs cater for all abilities and you'll see all ranges of road bikes. Do a search or clubs in your area and check if they have a touring/leisure section. Most club members would fit into this category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Tobin15

TonyStark wrote: »
    What sort of bike did you buy!?

It's a halfords carerra TDF 2015, bar the groupset it's not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tobin15

Thanks very much for that info! I'll contact both clubs and see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

forgot to say too that clubs will allow a spin or two so you can try them out before committing to joining the club and Cycling Ireland so you've nothing to loose. once you start getting out, you'll be addicted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Also, this is a good time to go on a spin with a club because even those that have the high-end machines won't be using them now as they'll be on their hackers. I wouldn't get too wound up about that OP.

Advertisement