Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf Charging Graph 8-51%

Options
  • 02-01-2016 12:14am

Here's a screenshot of the charging graph from the 31st Dec, I took the screenshot today but the data is from the 31st. I was surprised how fast the power ramped down from 45 Kw to 30-35 Kw. The battery temp was about 17 Deg C and the ambient temp about 5 or 6 degrees. I am pretty sure I have seen it hold 40 kw for a lot longer, I am now wondering if the BMS limits power based on ambient temps as well as battery temps ?

Screenshot_2016-01-01-11-16-49.png

I had approximately 900 watt hrs left and well below the 20% minimum I usually take the battery but I had to make a few runs and I was a bit under pressure. I really need to get the 32 amp EVSE , it will be so convenient charging at 6.6 kw at home !

I could have charged for 5 mins on my way into Carlow Town but I was pressed for time so said I would charge on the way out, 900 watt hrs is well beyond too close for comfort !

I started charging with --- on the % and GOM display. About 89 Kms from 100% to the charge point with the last 8 Kms or so about 50-60 Kph the rest 100-120 Kph.

I charged to 51% because that's all I had time for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

from the data on various fora, it seems Nissan have a very conservative charging policy , way less then Tesla for example, I suspect this is due to the lack of active thermal management and their desire to maximise battery life, i.e. stay well within a conservative charge envelope

I would entirely expect the BMS to manage charges rates based on battery temp, less so on ambient, at 5-6 degrees ambient , lithium is good for max charging anyway as you are well above freezing

I am nearly sure it held about 40 Kw for a lot longer, on a cold battery I would expect it but not with a battery temp of 17 C.

Such a sharp drop from 45-35 kw.

The data started logging at about 18% battery because I couldn't get leafspy working due to issues with the obd II adapter. I think it took about 20 mins to get from 0% to 51% for around 10 kwh, I didn't log the actual amount of Kwh sent to the battery but 900 watt hrs to 51% is about 10 kwh.

Advertisement