Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky V Eir

Options
  • 01-01-2016 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post or not (feel free to move)

Moving to a brand new house in Feb - UPC ain't available but Sky and Eir are - not sure who to go with so looking for opinions? Essentially looking for great internet and TV (couldn't care less about the phone)

Have a fair idea of what Sky is like but looking for opinions on EIR - is the TV package any good? Can you watch TV on other devices similar to Sky and UPC?

I'd like to go with Sky as they seem cheaper but there has not been a landline in house before and I believe this will slow up Sky option or maybe I'm wrong?

Any thoughts? Quite nervous about EIR as they are quite new to the TV market. I'd like Sky TV but I wonder about the broadband side of things.

Or is there another option I am missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

More channels currently with Sky, but Eir might offer the Setanta/BT pack free with their service, if the takeover gets clearance in the coming month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Saorview and Freesat are free. Would be easy to install and free after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Saorview and Freesat are free. Would be easy to install and free after that.

Thanks but I need Sky Sports and like option of being able to rent out movies!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Thanks but I need Sky Sports and like option of being able to rent out movies!

Check out both FTA Sat and Soarview coupled with a provider like Eir for movie rentals and sports. Or rent from Google, Apple or Xbox/windows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Elmo wrote: »
    Check out both FTA Sat and Soarview coupled with a provider like Eir for movie rentals and sports. Or rent from Google, Apple or Xbox/windows

Cool - yeah will be getting new TV so just can just rent off google movies.

Might look into partnering suggestion but I'd imagine EIR make it difficult or something like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Cool - yeah will be getting new TV so just can just rent off google movies.

Might look into partnering suggestion but I'd imagine EIR make it difficult or something like that!

If you are getting a new TV make sure it has a satellite tuner, you will still have a satellite when you unsubscribe from sky. EIR will provide all the Saorview channels but you will have the ability to get Saorview if you want to put an aerial. The EIR box will be via HDMI cable so it won't affect your Sat or Terrestrial connection on the new TV.

Just a case of flicking between sources.

Advertisement