Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Camera Club beginners course

Options
  • 01-01-2016 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I've just signed up for the DCC's beginners course starting 20 January. Is there anyone who has done this and can provide feedback? I'm hoping it won't be a lot of theory and practical tips that I can just read online. I think having your photographs critiqued by others is extremely helpful and I'd love if the course had lots of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Sheepman

First full disclosure - I am a member of DCC (as are a few other people on this forum). Having said that I can honestly say that I think you will enjoy and get value from the course.

Everybody I have talked to who went on the course enjoyed it and quite a few have since become members of the club. There are a couple of outings during the course where you go out and take some photos in the company of instructors and some experienced club members.

For those who go on to join the club (at a discounted rate of €35 - which equates to 65% of their course fees back!) there is a very active novice group/class which helps to continue the learning process in a very practical way.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the course and meet some like minded people you can share your interest with.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

sheepman wrote: »
    I think having your photographs critiqued by others is extremely helpful and I'd love if the course had lots of this.

Hi,

I have done this course (Sep '14) and I am a member of the club since then also.

The course itself won't have much or any critique of photos you took, unless the course has changed, but it will be more useful than theory you can read online. Towards the second half of the course I recall a couple of classes where the instructor (which is different every week by the way) critiqued some of their own photos and discussed what does and doesn't work in the photo. It may not be your photo but you do still learn a lot from the process.

In addition to this, if you do end up joining the club and taking part in the club competitions, which form a large part of the club's yearly calendar, you will get plenty feedback/critique on your photos. A valuable process.

All the best, enjoy the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Thank you both for your replies, this is helpful. I had initially looked at the IOP's course as there is a critical feedback session in every class. But I've heard good things about the DCC and it's good value.

Quick question, if either of you know. What is the age range of the class, usually? Younger, older or mixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Mixed. In both age and gender.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I used to be one of the presenters a few years ago. There is a program for the course which lays out the content of each lectures. I did the presentation on Composition. Each presenter has their own style but the talks are prepared. Myself I had a Powerpoint show and would talk about it as it went along. As there are about fifty people per session it cannot be individualised. There is a practical session one weekend (unless it has changed) where you can ask questions in smaller groups.

To get more out of the course you should take up the option of the discounted club membership. It has a very active program and you will get out what you put in. If you join in the competitions you will get images assessed on a regular basis.

I also started the Beginner's Outing which is associated with the course. The idea is to go out in small groups guided by an experienced photographer. We would try to match people, so those shooting a specific system or film would be together. There would be some time to shoot some images and then all would upload some shots to project and discuss. I assume it's still much the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

CabanSail wrote: »
    I used to be one of the presenters a few years ago. There is a program for the course which lays out the content of each lectures. I did the presentation on Composition. Each presenter has their own style but the talks are prepared. Myself I had a Powerpoint show and would talk about it as it went along. As there are about fifty people per session it cannot be individualised. There is a practical session one weekend (unless it has changed) where you can ask questions in smaller groups.

To get more out of the course you should take up the option of the discounted club membership. It has a very active program and you will get out what you put in. If you join in the competitions you will get images assessed on a regular basis.

I also started the Beginner's Outing which is associated with the course. The idea is to go out in small groups guided by an experienced photographer. We would try to match people, so those shooting a specific system or film would be together. There would be some time to shoot some images and then all would upload some shots to project and discuss. I assume it's still much the same.

Thanks for the info. I never really thought about the class size being a factor but they are large groups (30 places).

sheepman wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I never really thought about the class size being a factor but they are large groups (30 places).

even larger IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Maybe a silly question but I can't find an answer on the website... are you expected to bring a camera to the class?

Maybe a silly question but I can't find an answer on the website... are you expected to bring a camera to the class?

No, IIRC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You will not need a camera for the classes. If it is required you will be notified.

You will, of course, require it for the Beginner's Outing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

Quick question, when does the next course start? Very interested in doing this.

September. You've only missed 1 class in the session that started in Jan, but maybe that's full....

There is an offer of Course + Membership, at a big discount, which you can take up. It would mean that you could take part in all the clubs activities and then do the course in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

Brilliant thanks, the current course didnt suit me time wise, will just have to wait until September

Advertisement