Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix bark bird id?

Options
  • 01-01-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Ok firstly apologies no photo.

Was walking with the family yesterday in the phoenix park along the main through road near the castleknock gate area. Noticed a low flying bird in the adjacent field flying low and fast for all the world like a swallow would. Kept an eye but couldn't see it too well as dusk was approaching and it was a few hundred yards away. Eventually it flew in a flat trajectory towards us before curving upwards into a tree near the road. All I can really say is it appeared about thrush size but with a longer beak, body appeared to be a sort of grey rather than mottled or couloured, although again the light wasn't great. Have to say I'm stumped.

Happy New Year all.

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

A Great Spotted Woodpecker perhaps? They are about the right size as per your description, flight sounds right too and the lack of colour could be down to the poor light?

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Publications/eWings/eWingsIssue10July2010/GreatSpottedWoodpeckerupdate/tabid/1015/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Reisman

Thanks for the reply DM and yes I would love it to have been a gsw. When it flew past us it was only 30-50 yards away, the light wasn't great but I can't help but think I would have noticed if not the flash of red the black and white plumage. Having said that I'm aware there aren't too many birds it could have been so am wondering are there any other suggestions which are beyond my knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Thats a brilliant resource thanks for that fm. Will get stuck into that and see if I can find anything which it may have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

You're welcome! Good luck, and let us know if you solve the mystery :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sure it wasn't a phoenix?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Style of flight makes me think male Sparrowhawk. However you do say it had a long beak, and if it getting on for dusk that would probably rule it out too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Style of flight makes me think male Sparrowhawk. However you do say it had a long beak, and if it getting on for dusk that would probably rule it out too.

Style of flight reminded me of a Sparrowhawk alright. I wouldn't think it being dusk would rule it out.

The style of flight was indeed sparrowhawkesque about 5 feet from the ground but it would have been a small one alright. At no point did it's shape put me in mind of one though neither body or head shape. Also I think I would have noticed the hooked bill but having said that I certainly wasn't thinking bird of prey so maybe I wasn't looking for it if you follow me. Also surely a sparrowhawk be chasing something to behave in this way? There were a couple of dogs running around the field also so whatever it was may have got disturbed in some way. I'm stumped. Could it have been a young (hence the grey body) starling flying in that way for some reason, ie the dogs?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Reisman wrote: »
    The style of flight was indeed sparrowhawkesque about 5 feet from the ground but it would have been a small one alright. At no point did it's shape put me in mind of one though neither body or head shape. Also I think I would have noticed the hooked bill but having said that I certainly wasn't thinking bird of prey so maybe I wasn't looking for it if you follow me. Also surely a sparrowhawk be chasing something to behave in this way? There were a couple of dogs running around the field also so whatever it was may have got disturbed in some way. I'm stumped. Could it have been a young (hence the grey body) starling flying in that way for some reason, ie the dogs?

Ah I wouldnt say a hooked bill of a small bird like that would have been obvious in flight?

It wouldn't have to be chasing something to be flying like that - just keeping a low profile!

Starlings are quite small and 'stubby' in shape, and the flight pattern doesn't fit tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

It could have been a Jay , size and description are similar and they often fly low to the ground , a very shy bird . The Color would be grey like in low light although quite colorful in the daylight , and the beak description matches....

Another possibility...

Thanks Nightforce, that's one I hadn't thought of. Because of my lack of surety on the visuals the flight pattern has to be my major evidence here. Sparrowhawk or Jay are the only two possibilities based on this from what I'm hearing so far. Delighted to have spotted either of those if it was, just wish I knew it at the time. Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

It could have been a Jay , size and description are similar and they often fly low to the ground , a very shy bird . The Color would be grey like in low light although quite colorful in the daylight , and the beak description matches....

I'll second the Jay .there's plenty in the park and they also fly sparrowhawk like at times and can be very elusive like them too

Advertisement