Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about vintage plates

Options
  • 01-01-2016 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hello everyone, as I am quite new in the forum (and Ireland in a way :) ) , I would like to know from which year backwards you can have vintage plates. I know for sure for 30 years and older but in different countries there are different rules (25 and even maybe 20).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

When a vehicle becomes "vintage" (30 years since date of first registration anywhere), the plate doesn't change, but the taxation class can be changed to Vintage/Veteran.

If importing a vehicle over 30 years old, you have the choice of a year/county/serial format registration (eg: 80-OY-1750) or a ZV series one (eg: ZV 23456).

Classic insurance details are up to the insurance company, and vary by company, but in general the vehicle must be 25 years old (unusual/sporty models may be 20 years or less), the allowed mileage per year is limited and the insured driver should be able to prove that they have the use of a non-classic vehicle for daily use.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

Thanks for the reply. If I understand correctly, for a 25 years old car you can get vintage insurance but not the reduced road tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

30 years old for reduced tax, it also needs an NCT if registered after 31/12/1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

jdelis wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. If I understand correctly, for a 25 years old car you can get vintage insurance but not the reduced road tax?

Some car insurance companies will insure (some) cars on a classic policy from 10 years old onwards.

Reduced road tax and VRT only applies after the vehicle reaches it 30th 'birthday'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

as for plate style, you can have old fashioned plates up to 1992 I believe. Strictly speaking an import should bear modern plates, but it doesn't seem to be enforced and the car will pass NCT without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Strictly speaking an import should bear modern plates, but it doesn't seem to be enforced and the car will pass NCT without.

This keeps getting said, but it's not correct - from memory, the statements from Revenue refers to cars "first registered after 1-1-92" having to use Europlates, but it does not differentiate between first registered somewhere in the world, and first registered in the RoI. If imports had to use modern plates, it would mean that a 1920's Model T imported during, say 1988, and getting 24-D-8 would not have to use Europlates, but one imported after 1-1-92 and getting 24-D-9 would have to.

With a few notable exceptions around the world, the general rule is that older cars only have to comply with rules that were in place when they were first registered somewhere, otherwise imports would have to comply with later or current legislation, including for example, seat belts and emissions, which would be completely unworkable.

A matter of opinion. The Law doesn't say there's an exception , so it's my belief that the Law relates to all vehicles registered in Ireland from 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

A matter of opinion. The Law doesn't say there's an exception , so it's my belief that the Law relates to all vehicles registered in Ireland from 1992.

Do you mean prior to 1/1/1993?

"The Registration Plate formats above do not apply to vehicles registered prior to 1 January, 1993, or to vehicles registered in the "ZV", "ZZ" or Trade Licence series."

Rozzers never bother me at checkpoints about any of the cars I had with black plates, all 92 or older. NCT may care but it's luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

as for plate style, you can have old fashioned plates up to 1992 I believe.

The NCTS website clearly states the following ....

For vehicles registered on or after 1 January 1991, letters and numbers must be black set against a white background of reflex reflective material. The flag of the European Communities, the Nationality Symbol, IRL, and the Irish language name of the City/County of registration to be shown. No other marks may appear on the plate. Any additional tabs, etc. outside the dimensions shown for the registration plate are not considered part of the plate.

Strictly speaking an import should bear modern plates, but it doesn't seem to be enforced and the car will pass NCT without.

No that's not correct as the plate type and number is applied from the date of first registration of the vehicle. It is not taken from the date of first registration of the vehicle in the State.

https://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

ah but the revenue site states something different?

Is there a way we can have a representative from the NCTS and the revenue duke it out in a "trial by combat" scenario to determine who is right?

Doesn't matter if they kill each other in the process. Winner gets to fight McGregor for the right to review the ZV plate system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

woejus wrote: »
    ah but the revenue site states something different?

Is there a way we can have a representative from the NCTS and the revenue duke it out in a "trial by combat" scenario to determine who is right?

Doesn't matter if they kill each other in the process. Winner gets to fight McGregor for the right to review the ZV plate system.

It should deffo be to the death ..... and best of three

w124man wrote: »
    The NCTS website clearly states the following ....

For vehicles registered on or after 1 January 1991, letters and numbers must be black set against a white background of reflex reflective material. The flag of the European Communities, the Nationality Symbol, IRL, and the Irish language name of the City/County of registration to be shown. No other marks may appear on the plate. Any additional tabs, etc. outside the dimensions shown for the registration plate are not considered part of the plate.

No that's not correct as the plate type and number is applied from the date of first registration of the vehicle. It is not taken from the date of first registration of the vehicle in the State.

https://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

I don't think the NCTS can interpret the Law so it isn't definitive what they say.

Advertisement