Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with curtains made from duvet measurements

Options
  • 01-01-2016 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hi

Hoping someone can help me. I have a small dormer window in my bedroom and want to get curtains made from a duvet cover. the pattern is on one side only. my window is 50 inches tall by 38 inches wide. I don't want a lot of volume to the curtains as the window is a dormer and quite small. would I have enough material in a double duvet cover that is 78 inches x 78 inches.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hickeys and homebase websites tell you how to measure for curtains. Though you may have enough fabric the print could limit your repeats.
    You could always use another fabric for the top and bottom etc.
    From memory each curtain panel is three times the size of the window appature. Sorry if this is not correct, it's 15 years since I made curtains!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Thanks I'll check out those sites

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Curtains from a 78" length of fabric to fit a 50" high window would just about be correct - you will need a bit more at the top to reach the curtain support, and a bit more at the bottom both to clear the window sill and give a decent hem.

Is there any clearance each side of the window? If there is not, you will be permanently covering the sides of your window as the curtain will have nowhere to be pushed back to. Each curtain (assuming you have 2) will need a width of minimum 19" + approx 4" clearance + 12" fullness (you need a minimum of one and a half times the width of the window otherwise they will just look sad) + side hems of say 3" (total). This gives you a total of 38" per curtain, x 2 is 76". So yes, you just have enough fabric!

Is the back of the duvet cover plain? If it is I suggest you use it to line the curtains as quilt fabric is fairly thin. I have made curtains from a quilt cover before now, and it worked fine.

Advertisement