Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Funny wired network issue.

• 01-01-2016 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

Happy new years folks, I have a funny network issue I have mentioned before on INTEL's forum. Both on Windows 8 and Windows 10 my computer receives 100mb's limit instead of 1gb's (which it should be). I randomly get 1gb's or 100mb's cap when I restart my computer, it's the same with on-board ethernet card and external INTEL PCI slot card. I have Fiddled around with all settings so far, and my laptop ALWAYS get 1gb's, never fails with same ethernet cable (CAT-6). I have done standard troubleshooting, even reinstalled windows.
    Reinstalled drivers etc. Any clues?

Please keep in mind that I have 2x network cards in my desktop, one on-board and one externally in a PCI slot. And laptop never fails to receive 1gb's EVERYTIME.

This is very annoying since my ISP (UPS) delivers 240down/20up speed.

Please correct spelling if necessary.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

But you have tried a different Ethernet cable right?

This sounds like a typical cable issue. The fact to steps down to 100mb on two different machines would be a strong indicator.

On your laptop have you tested the throughput to make sure your actually maxing out your internet connection? It could be falsely reporting your connection.

LoGiE

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Xinjection

Hey thanks for a reply, the laptop never goes below 1gb's - I was abit unclear. Only my desktop does. I have tried to force 1gb's in many ways but it wont connect again, just keeps being disconnected "no wired inserted". So the cable should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you crimp the cable or was it purchase pre-terminated? At a guess this is an issue with the pinout not being to standard so the desktop can only use 4 pins while the laptop manages with 8.

It's a CAT-6 ethernet cable I bought, I bought another 1gb's INTEL network card for the desktop and placed it in a PCI-e slot, can this still be the issue? can I do anything to fix it? It's a very new computer, good specs and brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends on MDI-X support.

• Advertisement

My friend has the same Motherboard and doesn't have my issue, same Windows version too. Any suggestion what I can try?
    I have the ASUS z97-AR Mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Isolate the issue correctly.

Is it the network or the computer or the OS or the hardware.
    a. Connect laptop to the same ethernet cable and desktop. Does it get 1Gb speed. If it does then its the computer.

If its the computer then find out if its hardware or software. Use a USB key and put a bootable linux on it say ubuntu. Boot from it. Does it give you 1Gb or still 100Mbit. If 1Gb then its a windows setting. If not then its a hardware issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, any easier way to sort this issue? I don't have any experience with Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

The first line in rom's response is the key to getting to the bottom of this. You must identify the cause of your issues. Anything else is simply trying random solutions to an unknown problem.

You must go through a process of elimination to establish where and what the problem is.

I would suggest that, as you have re-installed Windows, it is unlikely to be an Operating System problem.

As you are having the same problem when using an onboard and PCI NIC it is also unlikely that the problem is NIC-related.

The next obvious place to check is the cable, as has been suggested a few times so far.

Have you, in fact, changed the cable for a new one or one that is known to work correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ubee EVW3226 router by any chance?

1Gig is meant to be a negotiated setting. Both devices run specific sequences across their positive pins to declare capabilities and then agree on a setting. I'd take a guess and say the laptop ethernet gets the same advertisement, but the chipset in it is a little lax in its adherence to the standard. If you have changed the cable and put another adapter in the pc, the next option is to look at the router itself. You could buy a 20 quid 1gig switch and use that with a single link to the router.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the answers, would have to look into that @all.
    Weird thing happened today, might be a fluke but when I typed 192.168.1.1 it automatically tried to access 192.168.0.1 instead, my ethernet connection disconnected twice and came back fully with 1gb's instead of 100mb's. Hopefully it will work now, if not I will try the same thing again. I rarely restart my computer, so we'll see if it becomes an issue again.

Thanks again!

Advertisement