Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparing Budget Gaming PC's

Options
  • 01-01-2016 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello everyone,
    Earlier today, I asked about a good gaming PC in the region of €500 to €550, and I was given a good option. However, a friend also suggested a completely different build, and I was wondering if I could have some feedback as to which is the better of these two ...

====================================================================PC #1: This PC is a custom build, which I will have to get someone to build for me, as I have no experience in building:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.7Ghz
    MOBO: MSI 970A-G43 ATX Am3
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Graphics: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB
    Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 ATX
    Power: SeaSonic S1211 520W 80+ Bronze
    ======================================
    PC #2: This PC is already built, and are available on dabs.ie

PC: Zoostorm SFF ~~ Intel Core i3 4170 ~~ 8GB RAM ~~ 500GB HDD
    Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 2GB
    ====================================================================
    Thank you all in advance for your help, I would really like to know which would be a safer and better buy :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well first off an AMD cpu won't work with an intel LGA1151 socket motherboard, so build 1 is already off to a bad start :p A prebuilt is also going to be worse value than building yourself -So the vote goes to neither. That said a 4170 + 950 combo is pretty good.

Go with whatever build gets spec'd up on this forum and build it yourself. It's as easy as lego.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ninja_Penguin

Oh, sorry about that, I've edited the post, put the wrong one in XD, thanks for pointing that out, and I think I'll go with the i3 4170 / GTX 950, as it's a pretty awesome build.
    However, if you could, would the first build be any good and or any better than the pre-built?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It would, but only because it's got a better graphics card, Intel processors blow AMD out of the water in every instance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Personally, I'd rather this drive - Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088PUEPK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Thanks guys, really helpful feedback. I've decided to go with the pre-built, and I'm thinking about getting that HDD Slave1 suggested :D Cheers mates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Thanks guys, really helpful feedback. I've decided to go with the pre-built, and I'm thinking about getting that HDD Slave1 suggested :D Cheers mates

Can you link the PC?

The 950 isn't really the best value IMHO.

It's on dabs, i3 4170, 500gb HDD, 8gb RAM for €350 or so

950 is €160 I think. It's fairly good value for what I've seen of them?

No need getting another HDD, I'd pick up an SSD first

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

The 950 will always suffer from the "If I spend €25 more, I'll get a GPU like the 380 which smokes it" conundrum. But that's because the 380 is currently the price/performance champion in the sub €250 category.
    The first build is pretty good tbh, but the value comes from overclocking that FX6300. Whilst multi-core tests do show strong performance from the FX line-up, single thread performance is poor on these guys, which most games use today.
    The core i3 can be upgraded all the way upto the core i5 4690(K) on the same mobo, which is handy because those Intel CPUs will last a long time.(unless their DX12/Vulkan performance is sub-par for some reason) However, the GPU is clearly beaten by the 380 in every instance, which would improve the gaming experience.

So OP what do you want?;
    Do you want a build that will have higher details and FPS, but lower minimum framerates? Then pick the build your friend recommended. (Dips into the 22-28FPS is sometimes seen on the FX series on BF:4 on a GTX 970)
    Or do you want a build that will lower performance today, but future upgradability when you need it? Pick the Intel build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Personally I would go with the Intel build, it's more reliable for games and will last far longer than the AMD machine will in the longer term.

Is that Dabs one a prebuilt PC for are you putting a card in seperately?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You can get the Asus Strix R9 380 on Mindafactory for €175 atm. Nothing comes close to that for price/performance especially with it's decent overclocking potential.

That AMD cpu architecture is dead in the water. I wouldn't go near it at this stage. They have a new cpu architecture coming later this year.

• Advertisement

Personally I would go with the Intel build, it's more reliable for games and will last far longer than the AMD machine will in the longer term.

Is that Dabs one a prebuilt PC for are you putting a card in seperately?

I'll have to add the 950 seperate, but I'm buying both from dabs.ie.

Thanks bloodbath, that's really helpful. I'm confused now as to whether to choose the Intel or the AMD build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Intel for CPUs where s separate GPU (graphics card) is being used.

Thanks bloodbath, that's really helpful. I'm confused now as to whether to choose the Intel or the AMD build.

You can mix Intel CPUs with AMD GPUs

The Intel build with a 380 is a good shout, will fit the budget

Thanks for all the help guys, you've been great. I'm going with the R9 380 and the Intel build :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Is this the one for around €350 ?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/zoostorm-sff-intel-i3-4170-8gb-500gb-no-os-free-3yr-on-site-warranty-upgrade-7877-0837-BL8V.html?refs=50977&src=3

Are you buying the R9 380 from MindFactory like Bloodbath suggested ? If so, then you might as well buy the parts from there since you said you have a friend who can put it together for you.

Intel Core i3 4170 3.70GHz - €114.09
    ASRock H81M-DGS - €40.66
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - €35.94
    1000GB Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 - €45.93
    500 Watt Be Quiet! System Power 8 80+ Bronze - €49.05
    A £25 case (with free delivery) from amazon which is around €35
    I'm not gonna include a DVD drive since most people don't really need it nowadays (it's only about €13 anyway if you really want one)

Total = around €320

Exact same processor, same H81 Motherboard, same 8GB RAM. But a bigger 1TB hard drive, and better parts such as the PSU. I'm not even sure what make/brand of PSU and the wattage is in that Zoostorm PC. And all for €30 less.

That's only of course if you're ordering the graphics card from Mindfactory anyway. If you're ordering both the PC and graphics card from Dabs, then disregard.

Thank you Jamescd, that was really helpful, :D

Advertisement