Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy New Year: Welcome to 2016!

Options
  • 31-12-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a bit early but happy new year to all of you and welcome to 2016! I really hope Mother Nature gives you the weather you desire this year! All hopes for a very cold Winter with snowfall and a pleasant, sunny, warm Summer! What weather would you like to take place this year? These are my predictions - not that I want them to take place (apart from the Summer), especially the Spring (Spring 2013 was horrible enough for me) - these predictions are based on past occurrences of strong El Ninos.

January - Relatively mild, wet and dull. - Nothing remarkable
    February - Relatively cool, dry and sunny. - Nothing remarkable
    March - Very dull, cold and wet. - Dullest March on record
    April - Very cold, dull and wet. Potential cold snap. - Coldest April on record and maybe dullest in over 24 years
    May - Average temperatures but sunny and dry. - Nothing remarkable
    June - Warm, sunny and dry most of the month but thundery downpours at times. - Nothing remarkable
    July - Warm, sunny and dry. - Driest July in 10 years
    August - Relatively warm, wet and sunny. - Sunniest August in 21 years
    September - Dull but very warm and wet. Chance of an Indian Summer. - Warmest September on record
    October - Average temperatures but dry and sunny. - Nothing remarkable
    November - Dry, sunny and cool. - Driest November in 33 years
    December - Becoming cold after a warm start but sunny and dry in most places. - Coldest December in 6 years

If it goes like my predictions, it will be a sunny and dry year but average temperatures.

So to summarise that January, February, May, June and October are expected by me to be unremarkable whilst every other month with April in particular is expected to have an extreme.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wet, windy, wimpy, whimsical, wavering, wild weather for 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Happy New Year to all on the Weather Forum!

Here's hoping 2016 brings us winter blizzards, summer heatwaves and Epic Thunderstorms all year long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lumi wrote: »

Here's hoping 2016 brings us Blizzards, Heatwaves and Epic Thunderstorms all year long :D

Then I'm guessing you hate my predictions :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Happy New Year to all on the weather forum special thanks to MT and all the other posters who constantly update us with charts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Best wishes to all forum users, except senor pangea:P), for the year ahead.

my wishlist, if Carlsberg did the weather in 2016, would be for a Greenland express, sometime in the middle of nexth month, to give us two foot of snow, followed by a big freeze for two weeks afterwards.

spring would be mild and dry.

then during the summer we would have a long heatwave, interrupted by periods of severe thunderstorms making their way up from the bay of biscay.

then during late autumn/early winter we would have an intense storm pass over Ulster, which resulted in gusts of between 70 and 85 mph widely over land, with gusts in exposed coastal locations of over 100 mph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Happy New Year to all on the weather forum, especially MT for his daily forecast and updates , also all the other knowledgeable posters. I'm just a lurker here for the last few years however for the last year I've began to learn a hell of a lot about the weather from you guys so keep up your excellent posts and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Here's hoping 2016 brings us winter blizzards, summer heatwaves and Epic Thundersnow all winter long :D

Fixed that for you ;)

Whatever the weather brings, I hope all readers are warm, dry and safe!, here's to an great 2016 whatever it brings!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Right 2016 is here, wheres Maq with another one of his depressing charts to kick the year off ;)

The danger to a pleasant Summer is the Leap Year thing. Notice past leap years' summers,

2012: Very poor
    2008: Very poor
    2004: Poor
    2000: Average
    1996: Average
    1992: Average
    1988: Very poor

1984 & 1976 though are classics

All in all, leap year Summers are mostly bad - so take that into consideration that we haven't had a good leap year Summer (average doesn't count) since 1984 and hope 2016 breaks this long period of bad leap year Summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Here's hoping 2016 brings us winter blizzards, summer heatwaves and Epic Thunderstorms all year long :D

Be careful what you wish for!
    Happy New Year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Happy New Year

Good start to the year, hopefully this continues vvvvvv

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Happy New Year everybody!

Wish you all - spot-on forecasts, interesting weather events, global warming during Summer, global cooling during Winter and less rain all year long.

Well, dream-on, you'd say, but what else I can do? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The danger to a pleasant Summer is the Leap Year thing. Notice past leap years' summers,

2012: Very poor
    2008: Very poor
    2004: Poor
    2000: Average
    1996: Average
    1992: Average
    1988: Very poor

1984 & 1976 though are classics

All in all, leap year Summers are mostly bad - so take that into consideration that we haven't had a good leap year Summer (average doesn't count) since 1984 and hope 2016 breaks this long period of bad leap year Summers.

I would choose to believe that the reason we have had those ****e summers has very little to do with leap years and largely to do with the fact we live in a country where the weather is generally rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    I would choose to believe that the reason we have had those ****e summers has very little to do with leap years and largely to do with the fact we live in a country where the weather is generally rubbish

Oh

Happy new year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A happy and blessed New Year to all. Whatever the weather, whatever comes, as long as we make sure the old and cold and needy are cared for.

Rikand wrote: »

It's just a fact I thought I was interesting

Any predictions?

It may look like my "warm" January scenario will be well off

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I know it's a bit early but happy new year to all of you and welcome to 2016! I really hope Mother Nature gives you the weather you desire this year! All hopes for a very cold Winter with snowfall and a pleasant, sunny, warm Summer! What weather would you like to take place this year? These are my predictions - not that I want them to take place (apart from the Summer), especially the Spring (Spring 2013 was horrible enough for me) - these predictions are based on past occurrences of strong El Ninos.

January - Relatively mild, wet and dull. - Nothing remarkable
    February - Relatively cool, dry and sunny. - Nothing remarkable
    March - Very dull, cold and wet. - Dullest March on record
    April - Very cold, dull and wet. Potential cold snap. - Coldest April on record and maybe dullest in over 24 years
    May - Average temperatures but sunny and dry. - Nothing remarkable
    June - Warm, sunny and dry most of the month but thundery downpours at times. - Nothing remarkable
    July - Warm, sunny and dry. - Driest July in 10 years
    August - Relatively warm, wet and sunny. - Sunniest August in 21 years
    September - Dull but very warm and wet. Chance of an Indian Summer. - Warmest September on record
    October - Average temperatures but dry and sunny. - Nothing remarkable
    November - Dry, sunny and cool. - Driest November in 33 years
    December - Becoming cold after a warm start but sunny and dry in most places. - Coldest December in 6 years

If it goes like my predictions, it will be a sunny and dry year but average temperatures.

So to summarise that January, February, May, June and October are expected by me to be unremarkable whilst every other month with April in particular is expected to have an extreme.

Well apart from dull conditions, my prediction for January is correct.

Advertisement