Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epiphone AJ220 SCE?

Options
  • 31-12-2015 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Looking to upgrade from my Tanglewood TW28. I can play a bit,mostly chords, and am hoping to improve further and get more lessons this year. Might try sell on the Tanglewood and have spotted an Epiphone AJ220 SCE vintage sunburst. Looks nice, is only about 18 months old,solid sitka top with a Shadow preamp and tuner. Selling for €245 in Waltons but can get it second hand for about €100 which is about my budget. So,whats the general verdict?Is it good bang for my buck?Considering I'm at improver stage but cant afford a Takamine just yet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Waltons sale starts on Saturday
    You might get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Cheers ,I'll keep an eye out for that

Nothing jumping out at me on waltons.
    Might just get this epiphone, reviews are mostly very positive.

Thanks wild turkey. But I bought the Epiphone yesterday for €90, about 18 months old and in top condition. Previous owner obviously looked after it very well. Lovely guitar, I've only ever had basic laminate top guitars so this solid top is impressive. The top E string is a bit dull but owner did recommend new strings so I'll do that next week.

• Advertisement

You got a very good deal on it. Buy a good set of strings for it with the money you saved. Decent strings will make a huge difference over cheap ones especially on an acoustic .

Yes, very happy with it. What strings would you recommend? As I said, I'm an improver, mostly play chords (can't get barre chords just yet) and have been using Martin medium gauge. Was reading on another forum about the Epiphone aj 220sce, that someone recommend Elixir lights but I've never tried them. More expensive than Martins but supposedly last longer?

I use Martin sp's myself as they give me the tone I want from my acoustic
    Elixir's are also very good but I cant remember the difference between the Polyweb & Nanoweb
    I'm sure the guitar shop would be able to tell you or even reccommend you a suitable set

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

How have you gotten on with this guitar OP? Getting back into playing a bit. Learned as a kid on a very basic Stagg. Want an upgrade now that I've gotten back into playing.

EIREDriver wrote: »
    How have you gotten on with this guitar OP? Getting back into playing a bit. Learned as a kid on a very basic Stagg. Want an upgrade now that I've gotten back into playing.

Still have it! Well impressed for the price I paid. Got new strings as advised and sounded great. Actually need new set again as sound is quiet dull currently. Lovely action, built in tuner is very handy. A mate of mine who plays a lot and knows a fair bit about guitars was impressed by it also. If you can get one for a decent price, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Cheers for the response OP! Yea will definitely invest in one in the very near future. Have seen some good reviews on YT, and you've made my mind up. :)

Advertisement