Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Church/Chapel house two different denominations?

Options
  • 31-12-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I was discussing this with a friend earlier; he claims that there are Church buildings in Ireland that are multi-denominational. In other words, both Catholic Eucharistic Mass and Protestant/Church of Ireland Services take place in the same Church building. I was wondering if this is true? I'm not sure if it is to be honest. Also, even if these Churches don't exist, would it be hypothetically possible for a Church to be both Catholic and Protestant simultaneously? Would either faith allow it, or would there be theological/doctrinal problems with this sort of arrangement?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Purely offhand and I'm not sure if this meets the OP's question but i would say hospital/military chapels might be. They should be available to hold various denomination services.
    For an actual buildings, there would be a few churches in the Holy Land that are shared between denominations based on historical contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I personally know of a local case where for a few months the Roman Catholic congregation held mass in their neighbouring Church of Ireland church while the chapel was being refurbished.
    To the best of my knowledge, no-one was struck down by lightning bolts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

In Spain and Portugal it's not uncommon during the tourist season to see COE services advertised on Catholic Church notice boards.slightly off topic: in Dundalk the COI (green church) always opened their front gate and back gates of their grounds on Sunday's to allow mass goers to the Marist church behind the green church take short cut to mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

So the general sense I'm getting is that a dual-denominational church building IS possible, but rare.
    Does anyone know what differentiates a Catholic church from and normal building or other Christian denomination's church? Is it simply the presence of the Eucharist, or does the Catholic Church follow a procedure to change a building in a Catholic Church?
    And the same question for Protestantism: does the Church of Ireland follow any procedures to turn a plain building into church.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

RC and CoI churches in Inistioge are beside each other and while the RC church was being renovated services were held in the CoI church.
    I believe alternative churches are also used for "overflow" for large funerals too.
    On a side note there is also one multifaith graveyard in that area.
    I have often heard it said that the Church is the people not the building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Maybe it is going back to some of the old churches . There is the ruins of a old church where i am from which housed catholics in one side prod's in the other..Both churches basically within the same building and also the grave yard was shared ,, each religion had their own side..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

There are cases where a church is a member of more than one denomination - there have been a few joint Methodist-COI congregations in Ireland but this would be a single congregation affiliated with multiple denominations rather than multiple congregations sharing the same building, as far as I know.

I'm not sure if the Catholic Church would permit non-Catholic services in a consecrated building. I believe that the Church of Ireland in Cong opened its doors to local Catholics some years back when their church was being renovated.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    There are cases where a church is a member of more than one denomination - there have been a few joint Methodist-COI congregations in Ireland but this would be a single congregation affiliated with multiple denominations rather than multiple congregations sharing the same building, as far as I know.

I'm not sure if the Catholic Church would permit non-Catholic services in a consecrated building. I believe that the Church of Ireland in Cong opened its doors to local Catholics some years back when their church was being renovated.

My local Church of Ireland has 90% of its fund raising done by the catholic church , both religions work very closely together.. But i do know when my parent went to get married 40 yrs ago (mixed marriage) the catholic church would not allow the COI minister have any part in the service well in fact he he barely wanted COI people in the chapel..But times have changed alot

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway has a joint Methodist-Presbyterian congregation, I don't have any details of how they work, but there's definitely only one building, and I think only one minister.

The Romanian Orthodox congregation here hold weekly services in the CoI church. I believe there's a Russian Orthodox congregation, too, but don't know much about them.

I'm pretty sure that university chapels host services from multiple faiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Our church is fully united Methodist and C of I

anyone who is a member is a FULL member of both denominations.

Children are confirmed and entered to methodist membership at the same service.

We shared the buildings for 30 years as two denominations but finally pushed for full amalgamation and were the first in Ireland to do it.

as to Catholic/prod? we regularly have visitors from the Monastery in Rostrevor and have them join in the service, but it's still our cut and paste service with bits and pieces cherry picked from all over, but essentially prod.

I have also attended an Anglican service in Majorca in a RC church in Puerto Pollensa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

MrYlad wrote: »
    So the general sense I'm getting is that a dual-denominational church building IS possible, but rare.
    Does anyone know what differentiates a Catholic church from and normal building or other Christian denomination's church? Is it simply the presence of the Eucharist, or does the Catholic Church follow a procedure to change a building in a Catholic Church?
    And the same question for Protestantism: does the Church of Ireland follow any procedures to turn a plain building into church.

A Catholic Church building is consecrated property. By consecrated, the building is deemed to be a holy building and consecration is administered by the bishop of the diocese where the church is located.
    The presence of the Eucharist, and especially the Tabernacle, is the outward sign that the building is a holy building.

One other sign that helps differentiate Catholic church buildings from protestant chuch buildings, is that Catholic Church buildings always have a cross on their exterior whereas protestant church buildings (usually) don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Melodeon wrote: »
    I personally know of a local case where for a few months the Roman Catholic congregation held mass in their neighbouring Church of Ireland church while the chapel was being refurbished.
    To the best of my knowledge, no-one was struck down by lightning bolts :D

I know of a similar case in Dublin 2. I have never heard of it happening on a permanent basis but I doubt that it'd be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

There is also St.Paul's church on Arran Quay in Dublin, it's a Catholic church but also hosts the Syrian Orthodox parish for Dublin. I can imagine such arrangements becoming more common in the future as many church buildings are quite underused.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

I'm pretty sure that university chapels host services from multiple faiths.

Actually, I know that to be true. I wonder are these chapels consecrated Catholic Churches or just spaces where mass takes place

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Berserker wrote: »
    I know of a similar case in Dublin 2. I have never heard of it happening on a permanent basis but I doubt that it'd be an issue.
    A Church of Ireland in a tiny hamlet used to allow Mass to be said there each week. A new Catholic priest put an end to this, by saying the COI building was not a church but a "mass centre." This happened in the early 90s.

I would imagine around border area there could still be a bit of a issue ,Still some strong political views in some communities , I am COI and to be honest the union jack and poppies in my own church really piss me off and the reason i dont go , as there is no need in a house of worship for the political bull**** ..I know alot of Catholics would be greatly offended by seeing it as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

A Church of Ireland in a tiny hamlet used to allow Mass to be said there each week. A new Catholic priest put an end to this, by saying the COI building was not a church but a "mass centre." This happened in the early 90s.

I have come across a few old school RC priests, in the 80s, who would have been like that. I would hope that they are a dying breed now though and the modern day RC priest would have a bit more cop-on. We (CoI) have a good relationship with the local RC priests and church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Don't know about Ireland, but the current Catholic Archbishop of Riga was consecrated in the Lutheran Cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

May the overlaps be strong.. Many RC churches here host secular concerts which i find strange. My first Easter Mass was on a beach and in following years in gardens and we abound in Mass Rocks here. I have no problem with sharing a building and many military and other chapels do. Many old churches are lying in ruins which i find sad as they could have been used. A building is just that. Holy if it holds Jesus

Advertisement