Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses in Dublin to get green light priority at junctions

Options
  • 31-12-2015 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/buses-in-dublin-to-get-green-light-priority-at-junctions-1.2477960

Dublin’s traffic controllers will be able to give green light priority to buses at junctions on all Dublin bus corridors from 2016.

The Centralised Bus Priority Project, which has been used on a trial basis on four bus routes in the city, allows a traffic engineer to hold a green light in favour of a bus approaching a junction.

The system, which has been used on Malahide Road, Rock Road, Ballymun and Swords bus corridors, has resulted in journey time savings of up to four minutes and an improvement in journey times travelling through junctions of up to 41 per cent, Dublin Bus said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

Pretty sure this was introduced on the 39 route about 20 years ago, is it just being centralised now rather than using the sensors on the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭thomasj

AlanG wrote:
    Pretty sure this was introduced on the 39 route about 20 years ago, is it just being centralised now rather than using the sensors on the lights.

It was never introduced on the 39, the plans were canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

thomasj wrote: »
    It was never introduced on the 39, the plans were canned.

It most certainly was introduced on the 39, when the CitySwift service was launched.

But it was subsequently canned (very quietly) due to DCC being of the opinion that it was causing unnecessary delays to motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

from the above mentioned IT article
    “Every journey matters to us and we are committed to bringing in new technologies. The extension of the project to all bus corridors in 2016, which works alongside the Automated Vehicle Location across our fleet of 950 buses, and 96 per cent accurate Real Time Passenger Information (RTPI) technologies, show we continue to head in the right direction.”

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98284023&postcount=92
    You'll be seeing the phrase that "Every Journey Matters" a lot over the next few months I would suspect as the company tries to market itself in a positive light as a cuddly customer focused forward thinking business, ...

A manually controlled solution in the 21st century. Progress the DB way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

lil5 wrote: »
    from the above mentioned IT article

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98284023&postcount=92

A manually controlled solution in the 21st century. Progress the DB way.

Harsh to criticise DB, I would imagine it is a DCC solution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

I was at a presentation recently and this project was mentioned. I don't think the Irish Times article is fully accurate when it maintains that manual intervention is required. My understanding is that the bus priority system is a fully automated one.
    The project also covers improving signing and lining, adding bus lanes where possible and the review of traffic signals along each bus route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

On Livedrive then mention that there is some massaging of the greentime for certain junctions, so I presume this is the manual intervention talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Please forgive what is probably a stupid question, but let's say three lines of traffic approach the lights. One buslane and two car lanes.

Is it a case that ALL modes get a longer green light? I can't see how a bus only would get through, unless there is a separate "bus light".

I'm sure you have the answer, and thanks!

Yes - all would get a longer green light.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Yes - all would get a longer green light.

So calling it priority for buses is a bit of a misnomer then.....

But if it helps journey times, that's good.

• Advertisement

So calling it priority for buses is a bit of a misnomer then.....

But if it helps journey times, that's good.

Well it would only happen where a bus is approaching the junction - so that would be the driver for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Up to four minutes!

Up to four minutes!

Over the course of a day that could mean an extra half-journey (one terminus to another) for each bus meaning less resources required to operate a route and more room for expansion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Up to four minutes!

Cumulatively useful for the bus firm and also could be the un-straw the un-breaks (there isn't a good reversal of that cliche...) using the bus for someone. Most people would have a time figure in their head of what a journey needs to take to be useful for them, a few minutes can be enough to break that.

Now, I suspect the main thing putting people off using buses is capacity, but this can help with that a bit as lxflyer explains.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well it would only happen where a bus is approaching the junction - so that would be the driver for it.

Ah I know that, but all modes benefit just the same!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Up to four minutes!

Could be the decider between using a car or the bus.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Now, I suspect the main thing putting people off using buses is capacity, but this can help with that a bit as lxflyer explains.

That and reliability, but both are linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It'll be interesting to see it in practice at say end of Leeson street or Donnybrook at rush hour when there can be 5-10 buses lined up within a few second of each other. how long does the green remain regardless of oncoming buses triggering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Would it be possible to introduce something similar at O'Connell St. for the Luas?

I understand the trams don't get priority as there are so many buses using OCS, but I've often been on a tram that is held at the lights with no buses going through in the other direction - some form of algorithm that is aware of how many buses are approaching could be used to improve priority for the trams maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 braniganl

About bloody time! Sick of sitting at reds at junctions on a packed bus as cars with 1 person sail through the lights.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

loyatemu wrote: »
    Would it be possible to introduce something similar at O'Connell St. for the Luas?

I understand the trams don't get priority as there are so many buses using OCS, but I've often been on a tram that is held at the lights with no buses going through in the other direction - some form of algorithm that is aware of how many buses are approaching could be used to improve priority for the trams maybe?

That junction coming from Georges Dock to Busaras can have long waits too, especially when some idiot car driver blocks the tram track so it takes several cycles of the lights for the tram to even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

Am I correct that traffic lights in Dublin are sequenced? Sorry, I have to ask :D
    What impact does this additional time then have on neighbouring traffic lights?
    Does the extra time granted to the bus direction get subtracted from the next green turn for the cars travelling across that junction so that all lights in the locality remain synchronised?
    Or is traffic on most routes handled on a junction per junction basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ah I know that, but all modes benefit just the same!

It's worth while bearing in mind,that the system can also recognize buses running ahead of time,and extend the Red Signal phases accordingly......;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Call me cynical if you will, but I see this being introduced and then abandoned because the disruption exceeds the benefits.

This is yet another rouse to avoid investing in a metro system.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Call me cynical if you will, but I see this being introduced and then abandoned because the disruption exceeds the benefits.

It would be one of the best initiatives to get people to move to public transport if it allowed buses on corridors to sail through junctions with minimal delays. Of anything were to disrupt it then that would be some sort of half hearted compromise.
    This is yet another rouse to avoid investing in a metro system.....

A metro system would only cover a small fraction of the public transport system unless going full hog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

It would be one of the best initiatives to get people to move to public transport if it allowed buses on corridors to sail through junctions with minimal delays. Of anything were to disrupt it then that would be some sort of half hearted compromise.

A metro system would only cover a small fraction of the public transport system unless going full hog.

I would certainly be advocating a very extensive hog; DU, the Luas extensions to Bray, Rathfarnham and Lucan now abandoned, Metro West and Metro north as well as properly engineered QBCs.

Without that, clogging everything bar buses at critical junctions will merely drive economic activity to the periphery.

Advertisement