Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan Refugees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They're there with a few weeks already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Really?

Jaysus how they deemed that as a suitable location I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Dungarvan not mentioned. Not going ahead?
    Those are the locations for long term accommodation, Clonea is a reception centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

MarkK wrote: »
    Those are the locations for long term accommodation, Clonea is a reception centre.

Where in Waterford are they being housed?

Hijpo wrote: »
    Where in Waterford are they being housed?

Judging solely from the article above, I'd say Waterford city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

A few of the Syrians were out & about & mingling with the locals at the Lions Club Christmas Day swim & it was lovely to see people shaking hands with them & welcoming them to Waterford & Ireland.

Proof that the majority of people in Ireland are good & welcoming people!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Judging solely from the article above, I'd say Waterford city.
    Where a pregnant, homeless woman resided in a tent last year. Pity she wasn't Syrian.

So, officially it's just a reception centre and will be for several more months or a year or two?

I've been hearing a few stupid rumours today.

There's a barrier now blocking off the car park from locals who use the beach. This has led to people parking dangerously at the side of the road and on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emm.Murphy

hope the barrier will disappear before summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Emm.Murphy wrote: »
    hope the barrier will disappear before summer

It's a private car park owned by the hotel. During the summer they have somebody on the gate anyway and if you're not a guest or gym member you have to pay.
    It's amazing how many people who want to take a walk on the beach won't walk 200 metres from the public car park but will park illegally on a roundabout instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

What's the purpose of the barrier anyway?

I presume the refugees don't have the car park full of cars, so why are they preventing the public using it now?

Probably in preparation for the summer?

Any time there is a half decent day they put somebody on the gate to either collect money or allow in guests / leisure centre members.

They have finally decided to put money into the Leisure Centre so this may have been part of it.

Roanmore wrote: »
    It's a private car park owned by the hotel. During the summer they have somebody on the gate anyway and if you're not a guest or gym member you have to pay.

Who paid for the wheelchair access to the beach and public toilets? It most certainly wasn't the McGrath family.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Who paid for the wheelchair access to the beach and public toilets? It most certainly wasn't the McGrath family.

What's your point? That access is still available.

The 2 disabled spots are available free of charge and if you want to use the car park you pay for it or you park in the free car park near by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The parking is the usual hilarious Irish situation that you go for a walk on the beach so have to park on the beach. The thought of walking to go for a walk is total anathema. Even funnier that people using the gym who can use the private car park can't walk either and park as near to the gym as they can on the double yellow lines or the cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emm.Murphy

my3cents wrote: »
    The parking is the usual hilarious Irish situation that you go for a walk on the beach so have to park on the beach. The thought of walking to go for a walk is total anathema. Even funnier that people using the gym who can use the private car park can't walk either and park as near to the gym as they can on the double yellow lines or the cycle track.

that's the fear of rain :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

Don't know what all the fuss is about the car park. I arrived down there with my dogs last weekend, barrier was up so parked, car park was full. In the way out thr barrier was down and yer man let me out and gave me the code. No bother

Advertisement