Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shag

Options
  • 30-12-2015 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I bet the title gets this taken down :-)

My kayaking future son in law has been out and about on the flooded River Dalau in North Cork today and reported that he came across a family group of Shag or Cormorant, about 5 birds, sunning themselves. Is this unusual?

Also has seen several Egrets in various locations locally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

More likely to be Cormorants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

about 5 birds, sunning themselves. Is this unusual?
    yes, the sun being out is an unusual event at the moment, seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Someone more knowledgeable may be able to explain this better.
    My understanding is that the Cormorant allows it's wing feathers to get wet. Most water birds want to be waterproof and buoyant but the air trapped in the feathers would slow down the Cormorant while diving. So it has traded the extra speed gained against the drawback of having to dry it's wings when it comes 'ashore'.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Shags are common around the coast but rare inland. Cormorants are a bit bigger and bulkier and more common and you also get them inland. Up a river, they are much more likely to be cormorants.

Advertisement