Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijacked by malicious virus/phishing site

Options
  • 30-12-2015 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

So the past couple of days, my phone has been subject to relentless attacks from a spam site - when I open a Web page, within a matter of seconds, the page I was viewing will be taken over by this screen:

Screenshot_2015-12-30-17-45-19_zpso2rupzot.png

At times I will also get this screen:

Screenshot_2015-12-30-17-52-16_zpsje7uf9if.png

When I press the back button or "ok" to try and resolve it, it shuts down all tabs and I'm back to square one.

I feel like a plank not being able so solve this myself, I've ran scans and tried to research the issue but haven't gotten it sorted as if yet. I can post the full link to the malicious site to show what it looks like if it helps. Please help as it's starting to become really annoying now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

What scans have you run?

Could you try Malwarebytes for Android?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.antimalware&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

mtt_swny wrote: »
    So the past couple of days, my phone has been subject to relentless attacks from a spam site - when I open a Web page, within a matter of seconds, the page I was viewing will be taken over by this screen:

Screenshot_2015-12-30-17-45-19_zpso2rupzot.png
    At times I will also get this screen:

Screenshot_2015-12-30-17-52-16_zpsje7uf9if.png

When I press the back button or "ok" to try and resolve it, it shuts down all tabs and I'm back to square one.

I feel like a plank not being able so solve this myself, I've ran scans and tried to research the issue but haven't gotten it sorted as if yet. I can post the full link to the malicious site to show what it looks like if it helps. Please help as it's starting to become really annoying now!

Can you slide the text up to reveal a proceed anyway option?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Buy an iPhone, this is exactly why I'd never use Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Stinicker wrote: »

Doesn't help OP's situation at all, nor add to the discussion.

Also; http://www.wired.com/2015/05/hack-brief-theres-new-iphone-text-message-attack/

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ipnface

Same for me. Do you have adblock plus installed? I can't figure it out either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

me_irl wrote: »
    What scans have you run?

Could you try Malwarebytes for Android?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.antimalware&hl=en

I've used Avast to run a virus scan and also used the Avast add on to do a clean up. I will check out Malwarebytes now and follow up on how I get on, cheers
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Can you slide the text up to reveal a proceed anyway option?

No, just the "Back to safety" option. There is actually no further options when you scroll down, despite how the screenshot looks. The Back to safety option will bring you back to your webpage, but only momentarily.
    ipnface wrote: »
    Same for me. Do you have adblock plus installed? I can't figure it out either.

No adblock installed here, no

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

It appears not only to be an android problem

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057539101/1

Not much help here either

It appears not only to be an android problem

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057539101/1

Not much help here either

Ah interesting read, I am actually using a vodafone WIFI connection at the moment too, maybe that has something to do with it. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ipnface

Also on Vodafone here too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Have exact same problem on Vodafone broadband, nothing when on mobile data

• Advertisement

ipnface wrote: »
    Also on Vodafone here too

Yeah that seems to be the problem. This isn't my own wifi connection, so it makes sense that it's only been a recent issue. How long have you been experiencing the problem?

Its definitely a Vodafone BB issue, as mobile data is fine and its worth noting that it hasn't been happening on boards.ie but on several other reputable sites its been relentless.

Happy enough now that its not an issue on the device, but still seems really dodgy tbh. Hopefully a fresh bit of research and a bit more reading will shed some light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There is the thread on the Vodafone forum about it where it is clear that they don't really give a sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

its not just vodafone, i get it on magnet/three too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Except that it's got nothing to do with Android and can happen to iPhone users too. Not a Vodafone exclusive problem either as I get the same on 3.

It appears to be a form of rogue advertising rather than a virus/malware. I remember having a similar problem of being redirected from reputable sites to some nonsense spam on my old HTC M7 on the Telstra network in Australia. Utterly infuriating but after a time it just stopped. Until recently that is. If you're rooted try installing a good ad blocker and see if it helps.

Testament1 wrote: »
    Except that it's got nothing to do with Android and can happen to iPhone users too. Not a Vodafone exclusive problem either as I get the same on 3.

It appears to be a form of rogue advertising rather than a virus/malware. I remember having a similar problem of being redirected from reputable sites to some nonsense spam on my old HTC M7 on the Telstra network in Australia. Utterly infuriating but after a time it just stopped. Until recently that is. If you're rooted try installing a good ad blocker and see if it helps.

Thanks a lot for the reply, that does deem to fit the description alright. No I'm not rooted on this device, as I haven't had any real need to, apart from aesthetics, which can be largely addressed with a launcher. It is something I've been contemplating again mind you, and adblocker is something I'll definitely use.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Had this problem on iOS, installing an ad blocker sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

phill106 wrote: »
    its not just vodafone, i get it on magnet/three too.

Im not getting it on Magnet at all, I have the Technicolor router if it makes any difference...

Stock Nexus 5 Chrome Browser Android 6.0.1....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I was getting this on Vodafone data lately. Seems to have stopped. Running stock Android 5.1.1 with no adblocker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Karma just bit me in the ass for mocking Android users as this has started happening to me now on my iPad and its also happening to me on my iPhone (using Safari browser). I use Vodafone Broadband and both devices are connected to it, I use wifi most of the time.

Ironically I was surfing today for to buy an Android streaming box when it happened to me at this address below, when visiting the same address again on my Meteor 3G Data it opened fine and normally so I'm suspecting it is a Vodafone issue.

http://lifehacker.com/5806570/five-best-set-top-boxes-for-on-demand-video

It happens on my iPhone and iPad but hasn't effected any traffic on my PC so far.

There is a big thread over on the Vodafone forum also, this issue is not device specific

Advertisement